Options

NAV2009 compatibility with NAV 5.0 - SQL 2005

andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
Hello everybody,

we have an actual production server having NAV 5.0 (CH - Swiss localization) with SQL Server 2005.
We would like to manage another company with new version NAV 2009 with IT - Italian localization.

I ask you if the two versions and localizations can be on the same server without risks or is adviced to have 2 separated servers.
We don't have experience about NAV 2009 and would like to improve.

The two company (IT and CH) will be real and productives and not for test.

Thank you very much

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    andy76 wrote:
    Hello everybody,

we have an actual production server having NAV 5.0 (CH - Swiss localization) with SQL Server 2005.
    We would like to manage another company with new version NAV 2009 with IT - Italian localization.

I ask you if the two versions and localizations can be on the same server without risks or is adviced to have 2 separated servers.
    We don't have experience about NAV 2009 and would like to improve.

The two company (IT and CH) will be real and productives and not for test.

Thank you very much

There is no technical reason why you can't run both on one SQL server. The issues will be 1/ licensing and 2/ performance.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    We now have on this server also Client of NAV, Business Notification Server and BN Client of version 5.0.

Adding NAV 2009 we have no problems on that. Can we only restore the new DB for NAV 2009 without any components?

Are these requirements documented with Microsoft official documentation?

Thank you
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I think you need to work out exactly what you do an don't have.

But you don't want any clients, nor the Middle Tier NAV server runnign on that machine. You really need to work out exactly what your requirements are before you go designing hardware.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    We are newer to NAV 2009.
    Are there two possibilities of architectures RoleTailored client (3 tier) and Classic client (2 tier)?

In this case we want only to have a simple company with one client on 1 pc making few operations and so have the occasion to view/learn new version.
    What do you advice?

Thank you
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    The biggest issue is the license. You will need to purchase the "save license in database" granule for both companies, because otherwise they will both be using the same license.
  • Options
    We are MS Dynamics Navision partner so we have a partner license NFR.
    I think to not have problems on that.

Is there some Microsoft documentation that declare that the two versions are compatible (on a server and also on a client)?

Thank you.