You cannot define item tracking on operation no x

AngelaMillsAngelaMills Member Posts: 29
I have setup a BOM with several sub-assemblies. For one of the sub-assemblies, we need to assign serial numbers to the output journal. This sub-assembly is tied to an inventory item that has serial number tracking turned on. The item is linked backed to the same BOM and Routing. Why would I get this message when trying to assign serial numbers to the output journal for the production step. Thanks for the help. Angela

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    The sub-assembly is an item itself, it is unclear if your "item" is the sub-assembly or the item within it, if it is the sub-assembly and it is set to serial defined you should be able to report it, of course if it is not you cannot and you will get a message similar to yours - however you mention operation number - if you are trying to do anything except manually flush this will not work, but you are creating an output, so I am a little confused, could you give us an example of the structure to make it clearer - assuming the title is an exact error message.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • AngelaMillsAngelaMills Member Posts: 29
    Thank you for your quick response. The sub-assembly is the item. The way it is setup is as follows:

The master BOM has three lines
    1. Item - Actual Component
    2. Production BOM - Phantom BOM made up of two components
    3. Item - the Sub-assembly that is tied to the item. (Also has lower level Phantom BOMs and component inventory items)

When I run the planning worksheet, it creates two production orders. One for the master BOM and one for the 3rd line or sub-assembly tied to a serial number item tracking item. When I tried to do an output journal against the production order created for this item, I get that message.
    Thanks for the help. Angela
    Hi

Is the message exactly as you state - related to an operation number?

Can you manually raise one for the sub-assembly and post an output journal (eliminates any issue related upstream or to planning).

What are the serial number settings for the code on the item tracking card?
    Can you clarify what you mean by: "Can you manually raise one for the sub-assembly" Thank you. Angela
    I mean create a new production order and in the item firld create it solely for the item number giving you the issue - the sub-assembly item number. Currently you are the level above and the cascade down creates the linked production order, just trying to identify if it is the item setup or the cascading.
    By doing what you suggested, I was able to assign serial numbers and post the output Journal. I am tying the same routing to both the sub-assembly and the finished good. Do you think that is causing the issue? Thanks for the help. Angela
    The same routing should not matter - are you using routing link codes?

It does however show the item construction at the sub-assembly level is fine, although it seems how it is used is not.

Can you confirm the output you have hte message with is for the sub-assembly, and not the parent? I presume all flushing is set to manual on the BOM?

What version is this?

Any modifications in this area?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!