Options

Automatic sync with Enhanced Security

afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
We have a Nav 5.01 SQL database, with Enhanced security.
We understand that users are not suppposed to be synchronised automatically in the Enhanced model.
However, users *are* getting synced automatically:

1. If a Windows login is added in Nav, it is automatically added in SQL Server.

2. Suppose user1 exists in Nav, but it has been removed from SQL Manager (so user1 cannot access the database); while user2 never existed in Nav or in SQL. If we now add user2 in Nav, then in SQL Server, both user1 and user2 have access to the database.

Do you know how to stop this automatic synchronisation?

Thanks,
Alastair
Alastair Farrugia

Answers

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    No it just works that way, you can't exclude users from synchronize all. You'll have to include a step in your business process that when a user is removed from the system, that someone checks with the NAV admin and have them removed there as well.

What would prevent it from happening is setting your security model to Standard.
  • Options
    I changed the security model to Standard (and did a Sync All, and restarted the Nav client), and still got the same behaviour, i.e. if we delete user1 from SQL Server Mgmt Studio, and then add user2 in Nav, what happens in SQL is that both user1 and user2 are added automatically.
    Alastair Farrugia
  • Options
    Isn't this behavior (automatic sync in Enhanced security) a Navision bug?
    The Installation & System Management manual (w1w1isql.pdf) p. 121 says:

"With the Enhanced Security model, every time you create, modify or delete a Windows login or a database login, the security system is not automatically synchronized. You must remember to synchronize the security system yourself – no message is displayed!"

This automatic sync is a problem, since we would like to disable a user's access to a Navision database without removing them from Navision (so that we can then re-enable their access without having to enter all their roles again).

Thanks.
    Alastair Farrugia
  • Options
    Following the support call with MS, I learnt that Enhanced Security is, in fact, working correctly.

For user1 to access the database, s/he needs in SQL:
    A. a User Mapping to the database
    B. permissions on appropriate roles

The behavior I complained about is that the User Mapping for user1 gets created automatically.
    However, user1 still can't login to the database in Navision, until they also have permissions on the roles; and those permissions are only (re)created when synchronising.

Synchronisation is the process of applying all the NAV role permissions to the relevant login/application role, and NOT just the creation of User Mappings.

P.S. If user1 is an Administrator on the server, then what I've said doesn't apply because s/he doesn't need any explicit User Mapping or permissions in SQL. If user1 is an Administrator, and exists as a Windows login in the Navision database, you can remove the User Mapping in SQL and user1 will still be able to login to the Nav database.
    Alastair Farrugia