Object assignation in license

xavigepexavigepe Member Posts: 185
Hi. I think with an Essentials license when you are purchasing a new license for a customer Microsoft automatically assigns the 10 free tables, 10 forms, 100 reports ... to an specific range of numbers (in Spain it starts in 50000 and it can't start with other number for example 81000). Does anybody know if with an Advanced license you can decide which range of numbers the 10 free tables, 10 forms... should start with?.

thanks

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    As far as I know you can always specify exactly which numbers you wish to use, as long as they are within the number range that is allowed for that particular license. So if you have some custom tables with numbers 50100-50109, then you can specify those numbers when the license is ordered.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Maybe there is confusion between Free objects, and the objects that are included with the Designers. The objects included with designers always start at 50,000.
    David Singleton
    I think you can specify those numbers though, even when you get them as part of the designers, they don't HAVE to start at 50000. If you don't specify them, they automatically assign them starting with 50000, but as far as I know you can specify exactly which numbers you want. If you want 50003, 60123, 73659, etc. you can specify those numbers when the license is ordered.
  • xavigepexavigepe Member Posts: 185
    There are two types of licenses: Essentials and Advanced. In Microsoft they told us that with an Essentials license, objects always should start in 50000, the question is if it's the same with an Advanced license. Even in Microsoft they are not sure (no comment lol)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• helmhelm Member Posts: 46
    When I asked Microsoft about this earlier this year they said that the granules 7110, 7120, 7130 and 7140 automatically assignes objects starting from 50000 and then goes to 50009 or 50099 depending on object type (10 tables and 100 of each other type). They said that these assignments can not be unassigned and reassigned using different numbers. The customer is question has the advanced license.
    Once object numbers have been assigned, you can't undo that. BUT when you order objects, you can specify which numbers you want. I know this from personal experience, not from someone telling me something they heard from a support person that asked their coworker. I have personally ordered and received many licenses with specific object numbers, because at my first NAV job they used to have a few add-ons with specific object numbers, and we ordered those to be added to customer licenses all the time.

For example, you can order a block of 10 tables and tell them you want table numbers 65100-65103, 70450, and 80000-80004 and that is exactly what you should receive (that's 10 table numbers I hope :mrgreen:). If you're not getting it that way, then the person cutting the license doesn't know how to do it.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    DenSter wrote:
    Once object numbers have been assigned, you can't undo that.

Well that's annoying. I was planning on redoing a customers license for a reimplementation. There are about 100 tables in the license randomly scattered throughout the 50,000 - 75,000 range for no reason. Some in small blocks, some by themselves. It really makes no sense and is a pain when trying to figure out what the next available number is.
  • tthyagutthyagu Member Posts: 33
    For customized objects, normally the mo series will start from 50000. So from the No of objects purchased, the range can be identified at any time. If the no series are obtained randomly, how to know the Range subsequently? Will that info be provided in the License?

Regards
    If you don't specify the number, they will be assigned from the nearest available number from number 50000. So if you just order 10 tables, without telling them exactly which numbers you need, they will give you 50000-50009. If you then order 10 more, they will give you 50010-50019. They know because they have your license in the system, and when you order something to be added, you have to provide the license number that it needs to be added to.

Matt, you can create a form that shows the available numbers. I believe Dave T has something for this in the download section here, or possibly over on DUG.