Migrating Data from Tally to Nav

nrinishnrinish Member Posts: 8
Hi All,
I am new to Nav... Right now we are going to implement Nav2009 to one of our customer..At present they are using tally and we need to migrate the data from tally to Nav (SQL)...Is it passable to transfer data from Tally to Nav...If so, could you please suggest me how to do it....

Thank you

Rinish

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    well, I don't know Tally at all, but keep one thing in mind. Avaid importing data straight in SQL Server. Always do this by using a NAV client (RTC or Classic). Else, the validation-code won't be triggered, and trust me, this is not something you want.

You can migrate using the Mapping tools in NAV (excel), which are part of the RIM tool. U can write your own dataports (you'll have to use the classic client for that)... .

Now, specifically for Tally, I won't be able to help you, I'm afraid. If you're completely new to NAV, I suggest you get some help from an experienced consultant for your first implementation...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    IMHO data migration should not be done from tally to NAV because of structural difference. The data in tally cannot be imported directly in NAV because Tally does not have the concept of Sub Ledger (Customer/vendor/bank/fixed asset/inventory) and is purely a financial package.
    In case you still need to do it then do a mapping of account codes of tally with NAV and import the data through General Journal Lines and post in NAV.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    That's when you're importing the "accounting history" ... that would be my recommendation as well.

But importing master data (customes, vendors, accounts, ...), that should be done anyway, no?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    Waldo wrote:
    That's when you're importing the "accounting history" ... that would be my recommendation as well.

But importing master data (customes, vendors, accounts, ...), that should be done anyway, no?

Of course master will come. Master data can be modified easily as per the new system but the same is not true with the transactional data.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    nrinish wrote:
    I am new to Nav... Right now we are going to implement Nav2009 to one of our customer.

That's a bit scary. Wouldn't it be better if you got some help from someone with experience to help you?
    David Singleton
    nrinish wrote:
    I am new to Nav... Right now we are going to implement Nav2009 to one of our customer.

That's a bit scary. Wouldn't it be better if you got some help from someone with experience to help you?

Somehow I am getting used to such comments :(:(:(:(:(
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!