Installing NAV 2009

ElieElie Member Posts: 30
When I attempt to install NAV 2009 into my machine it prompt me that I have another Version of Navision already installed and it wants to delete them before NAV 2009 can be installed ..!!!!!

Do I need to delete all previous Navision versions first then install NAV 2009 and then reinstall the other Version back?? is there another way? [-o<

Thanks

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You don't have to delete them. You just have to uninstall them.

I think there's a thread discussing how to do this. Please use the search.
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    You do NOT have to remove all previous versions. All major versions of Navision "classic client" that work on your version windows can be installed at the same time. It's best to install approximately from oldest to newest.

Eg: in order: 2.01, 2.60G, 3.01B, 3.10A, 3.60, 3.70A, 4.0sp3, 5.0, 5.0sp1, 6.0(2009).

Install the classic client from the client directory on the CD. The first question will ask if you want Custom, Upgrade or New on v3 and later. Select New.

If you ever remove version 3.60 remember to reregister msxml3.dll in the windows directory.
    Version 3.70A may install a copy of MSDE even if you tell it not to, install sqlexpress first.

DO NOT install using the CD autorun, install using the setup.exe in the relevant subdirectory or using the msi directly (pushed out or unattended).

The RT client and server can be installed without issue from their respective subdirectories. If you want to use three tier (three machines) you must get the correct hotfixes and use the correct SPNs (the documented ones were wrong as of end of May).

The only problem that may occur is that the DLL and OCX's called from Navision code may be too recent versions, this is normally linked to communication with Word and Excel and in this case you probably need a virtual machine with the correct version of MS-Office and just the single version of Navision.

You will, however, eventually have problems if you install visual studio to debug code running with the RTC. It does get blamed, with cause, for many corrupted windows systems. (my most recent eg: just installing 2008 breaks some standard printer drivers)

PS: Forgot to mention, CFRONT uses the version most recently installed version and recent hotfixes of the RTC will startup a non-MDI version of the classic client to run reports that don't have a reporting services layout, however, it tries to startup the most recently installed version or Navison and fails if this isn't V6.
  • ElieElie Member Posts: 30
    Thank you Robert. =D>
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!