Options

Fields for Version / Database Type / etc

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
edited 2009-11-02 in Feedback
I know a lot of people are getting tired of posts like this: http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35307
where we can't seem to get the specifics of the installation.

Would it be possible to add fields (just like was done with the attribute None/Solved/Good Posting) for things like
Version (2.0 / 3.7 / 4.0 / 5.0 / 2009 / etc)
Database (Native / SQL)

They wouldn't be required or anything, but could be helpful. At the very least, a visual reminder that the information needs to be filled in to get a useful answer on a lot of things. What do you think? Worth the effort?

Comments

• Options
    JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    That sounds to me like a pretty interesting idea. People who refuse to answer the question several times wouldn't likely fill out the fields, but it might still be neat to have in the system.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • Options
    I guess no one else thought it was :(
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The issues pointed out by Jeremy are important. If people can't be bothered answering a specific question, what is the chance they will voluntarily fill in the fields. Also in this case the poster is a consultant for an NSC, so what details can he put in his profile, since every customer will be different.

Unfortunately unless Microsoft can make some dramatic changes to the certification process for Navision consultants, there is nothing we can do to correct this issue.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    To paraphrase a comedian here in the states - "You can't certify 'Not Stupid'", or at least "Not Lazy".

Matttrax was suggesting on the post itself, so as a consultant, one could plug the values in with each new topic. If they were required, eventually would be a neat way to search posts. It surely would work better than trying to search for something version specific on PartnerSource. :lol:
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • Options
    It's more of a visual reminder that the information is helpful and should be included in posts. I know I forget to type it in all the time. Not profile specific (although if you were an end user you could possibly default information from your profile), but post specific.

Personally I think if you were searching for something and you could filter that result set down to problems with 3.7 or 4.0 it would be a good help. Would take a long time to build up the knowledge base, but you have to start somewhere.