BREAKPOINT Navision - remove all and problems

andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
Good morning,

I know how to use them for debugging.

I ask you if forgetting any breakpoint in some objects in an production server system can create some problems to normal user or they come activated only flagging Debugger active by a developer/super user.

The breakpoint are saved only on the computer that insert them or on a server common to all users?

How can I remove all breakpoints in all objects if I don't need them and don't know where they are?

Thank you

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    How can I remove all breakpoints in all objects if I don't need them and don't know where they are?
    delete records in "breakpoint" table...

users should not have the debugger active...anyway...they lasts only on the pc where they're set...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    The Breakpoints are saved in the table Breakpoint.

Doesn't give "normal" users the permission to debug.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
    Is this virtual/system table 2000000059 ?
    Running a report to view them I see about 10 breakpoint saved.
    Can they cause problems to users?

Is it possible to delete all with a report? Without making disaster?
    Or is better to open each object and remove it?

What does the menu Debug -> Remove All Breakpoints CTRL+ SHIFT + F9 from Microsoft Navision Debugger do?

Thank you very much.
    Yes, it's table 2000000059.
    You can create a form from Objectdesigner, based on table 2000000059.
    Yes, you can delete them

In the debugger "CTRL+ SHIFT + F9 " should remove all enabled breakpoints in the objekt (table, CU, etc.) where you are.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The BreakPoints table is a virtual table and available only during runtime. When the client is closed, the current breakpoints are written to an XML file (NaviBP.xml), which is in the same folder as the ZUP. When the client is opened the breakpoints are read from this file into the BreakPoints table. when the client is closed the breakpoints in the BreakPoints table will overwrite the file. If the BreakPoints table is empty (they were deleted)then the file wil be cleared. The xml file may be copied to another computer in order to move the breakpoints there. A common step I will use, when debugging NAS, is to create a breakpoints file on a client machine then copy it to the NAS server.

Note:

Deleting the xml file is only effective if done with the NAV client closed.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Thank you very much for your explanation.

So which is the better way to remove them?
    Looking this table I see that there are breakpoints on objects not present in the system. Probably deleted?

I am the only one that insert them. If I close my client and then delete NaviBP.xml is good?

Thank you
    the current breakpoints are written to an XML file (NaviBP.xml)
    I didn't know this! thanks!
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    andy76 wrote:
    Thank you very much for your explanation.

So which is the better way to remove them?
    Looking this table I see that there are breakpoints on objects not present in the system. Probably deleted?

I am the only one that insert them. If I close my client and then delete NaviBP.xml is good?

Thank you

Either method works. I actually tend to use them both. If I want to remove selective breakpoints I will delete from the table. If I want to remove all I may do either depending on situation.

Remember that breakpoints only exist on the computer on which they are created. They are associated to the computer not the user. They will not impact other users. And also will not be available to you on another computer.
    If some month ago I inserted some breakpoint on other pc on the network, pc of user not developer, do they maintain their breakpoint in their file ad virtual table?
    Should I pass each pc to delete them or is there a better way?

Thank you very much for your important help
    Breakpoints are functional for all users, not just developers. However they are only active if the debugger is active. There is no need to delete breakpoints on a regular basis.
    hey, I think you're taking this thing too seriously...
    anyway, a medium user is feared by the unknown "debugger" menu, he's not going to activate, and even if he does it, there's no problem...he will call you, crying that he's crashed something and you'll become his hero when you say him how to solve his issue... :mrgreen:
    If i am correct, you can also deactivate the debugger from the permissions (filter "system" in object type) and breakpoints will become useless..
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Yes, you're correct Belias. Doesn't give "normal" users the permission to debug :!:
    The debug permission is: SYSTEM 5310 Tools, Debugger.

An example: What is happend, if a normal user debug the, lets say the purch. order posting and go to lunch .........
    All other users are blocked ...... and can't post, because some tables still locked ......

So deny normal users the debug permission. Only you, the developer should debug.

Regards
    The problem is that only one user in our network sometimes has the attached error and navision crashes.
    Sorry for the image that is in Italian and regards breakpoints = punti di interruzione.

For me our breakpoint don't cause this error but I would like to try to remove all them. Do you understand?
    It is better to have a clean situation but for me it is necessary to repair or reinstall Navision client.
    What is your opinion?

Thank you
    Belias wrote:
    If i am correct, you can also deactivate the debugger from the permissions (filter "system" in object type) and breakpoints will become useless..

That is true, but as a general practice I do not take this feature away from users. Having a user turn on the debugger and send me a screen shot of where it trips can be a very useful diagnostics step.

BTW - Many users are more capable then you seem to give them credit for.
    When the user receive the message that I attached I also tried press debug and another similar window/message appear, debug again and the client closes and then reopen.

There is not a break in the code to se the cause/detail. Maybe with my user/super could make something more but we don't know how to cause the error.

It happens especially after lunch pause or when user switches to another application, for example writing an email in outlook. That's strange...

Thank you
    Thats not the NAV Debugger, thats the, if on the pc, the, for example, VS-Debugger that will run.
    The message that you post mean, that the finsql.exe crashed.
    Is this ever on the same NAV object ( function (like when the user opens a form / runs a report)?
    Is this only on one PC?
    Is there the same NAV version on this pc like oon other PCs?
    Comes this error ever, also when you delete the zup file of this user?
    Which NAV version do you use?
    No no it happens some times once a day or less not on a specific function/report /codeunit...on its own when nothing is running by user I mean.

Only on this pc.

All pc have NAV 5.0 installed.

I don't try to delete zup file because this user has a lot of things setted and we are not sure that this thing could solve. We don't know how to repeat the error.

What about reinstall client using same zup?