Options

Dataport - Special Characters

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
Hi,

I am uploading German data through a dataport but the problem is that some characters such as ' ü ' is changing to ' 3 '. Why is it so?? What can I do about it?? Can you help me please.

Thanks and Regards

Comments

• Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    you should try to check your database collation.
    notepad is unicode, nav not...depending on how the text file is exported, you could have problems due to the fact that ü is ASCII character number '234' (for example) in the language with which the file was exported.
    character '234' corresponds to 3 in the language with which the file is imported.
    (please someone confirm this, maybe I used wrong terminology, or i said something wrong).
    you can test if your process works, trying to copy & pasting from notepad to nav.
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
    hi,
    It is almost impossible to know where the data is coming from since our client gets the data to be uploaded from another system.

this means that we have to go through the code and change character character all through the length of each string??
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    NAV assumes the file will be using an OEM code page. In order to keep the conversion of characters correct, you must be running NAV on a machine with the same OEM code page as where the file was generated. E.g both should be 850.

I'm afraid it is not possible to convert extended characters in general, without matching the code pages.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    dmccrae wrote:
    NAV assumes the file will be using an OEM code page. In order to keep the conversion of characters correct, you must be running NAV on a machine with the same OEM code page as where the file was generated. E.g both should be 850.

I'm afraid it is not possible to convert extended characters in general, without matching the code pages.

phew, I guess it! \:D/
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25554

I've tried the changing of the registry to 1252 really helps tremendously with the special characters we've been experiencing, including german, french & spanish.

Note but all pc's need to be changed to show the characters correctly.