Options

what server do i need ?

floflo Member Posts: 25
Hi

i started a new job some days ago and the company i work for now plans to change theit old ERP to navision 3.70.

the expected database size will be about 75 gig (<- supposed to be bigger than expected) and the number of simultanious accesses are about 30.
it will all be set up on a SQL server and i really cannot say which kind of server can handle that in a fast way.

i hope a dell power edge 6600 (p4 xeon 2,2 with 4 gb ram) can handle that well enough.

has anyone expierience with such a big database ?

pls help :>

greetings from sunny munich

Flo

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    that sounds pretty powerful..

you can also take a look at:
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=356
  • Options
  • Options
    thnx for that quick reply :]
    so there should be no trouble with running navisionserver and SQLserver on the same machine?
    would be pretty cool though ...
  • Options
    medostmedost Member Posts: 10
    Hi Flo,
    do you really expect a database with 75 GB. I work as navision consult the past 5 years and I never reached that dimension. One of our main power client is working with 20 GB and they have really enough space.

Do you want to use the sql for something else?

The server you have choosen is more than necessary. Navision itself does not need so much power.

Regards,
  • Options
    from MBS CustomerSource:
    1. Use as much RAM as possible. Generally, use at least 4 - 8 MB of memory per user for cache. Plan for approximately 200MB cache for a 30 user system (256MB system RAM at least) or more, because memory is rather inexpensive.
    2. The maximum Navision Server cache is 1GB. Therefore, there is no advantage to purchasing more than 2048MB of RAM, leaving 1GB for Windows and 1GB for Navision.
    3. MAKE SURE that the computer is not swapping, for example, after you increase the cache size.

E. Use a DEDICATED Navision server that is a stand-alone server (not PDC or BDC). If you have a non-dedicated Navision server computer, make sure that the programs are not competing for resources. NEVER run SQL server or Exchange server on the same computer with Navision server.

F. Use a single processor computer. Allow Windows NT to use processor cache fully.

see Letter E
  • Options
    the point is that thre will also be a document controlling system with manuals in many different languages and many pictures and graphiks on the sql server that makes it very big ammount of data in a very short time.

i ll let u know which solution we will have decided to use and how it works ;)
    i think the 2 server solution will be powerful enoug to last the next 5-6 years.

money is not the point here luckyly :>
  • Options
    ahh, if only I could say the same
    money is not the point here luckyly :>

:D