FA Posting Group in Fixed Asset

aavioaavio Member Posts: 143
Hi,
i had a doubt with fixed assets, can you tell me when 'FA Posting Group'(field in fixed asset) get filled..? :? , it seems its not done manually...
aav!o

Answers

• mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    In this field, enter the FA posting group that must be used when posting entries to the current depreciation book.
  • aavioaavio Member Posts: 143
    but in fixed asset card there is no option to select FA Posting Group....then how it get filled??? updating in table level..?? user will be inserting new assets from form only know...
    aavio wrote:
    it seems its not done manually...
    :|
    aav!o
    FA Posting Group field is in fixed asset lines tab
    i suppose your talking about 'FAPosting Group' in SubForm of Fixed Asset card....that subforms sourse table is not fixed asset table its FA depreciation Book :roll: :|
    aav!o
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    The posting group is driven by the depreciation book associated with the asset.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
    AdamRoue wrote:
    The posting group is driven by the depreciation book associated with the asset.
    yes, i had entered in that column, but its not updated in Fixed Asset table..

still my doubt is not answered :cry: ...how did 'FA Posting Group' field in Fixed asset table get filled...? [-o<
    aav!o
    Show the field in Form and set

but as AdamRoue said,

the posting group will take value from depreciation book not from fixed asset in journals
    Hello Mohana,
    without updating manually, ie from form or in table, 'FA postin Group' (a fixed asset table field) get some how fills in Fixed asset table.... i dont know how....i would like to know if any knows it..... :|
    i thought it was updated when posting , but i had tried it, it doesnt work... [-(
    aav!o
    The posting related to fixed assets is done through FA posting groups, the posting group is applied through the depreciation book.

Whilst the posting group is a field on the table it is not visible on the card, you would need a developer to look at this and find out what it is for, but you do not need to fill this in on the fixed asset table, the depreciation book handles the posting. If you brought this forward and manually entered it I am not sure what it would take, I would guess it is not visible for a reason though.
    AdamRoue wrote:
    If you brought this forward and manually entered it I am not sure what it would take, I would guess it is not visible for a reason though.

even if we enter manually, it takes from depreciation book only
    AdamRoue wrote:
    If you brought this forward and manually entered it I am not sure what it would take, I would guess it is not visible for a reason though.

even if we enter manually, it takes from depreciation book only

So it is either a dead field, or you need a developer to look when this gets populated.
    AdamRoue wrote:
    you need a developer to look when this gets populated.
    myself i am a developer, but i could not find the exact location where fa posting group gets filled...and when it gets filled... any valid solutions.... please help... [-o<
    aav!o
    y do u want to fil dat field?

as no where we are using that field means we are not using the value of that field anywhere
    y do u want to fil dat field?
    mohana ](*,) , i dont want to fill that field, but want to know how it get filled and when... :cry: :x
    as no where we are using that field means we are not using the value of that field anywhere
    and using this "FA posting group" field in fixed asset only records are arranged in report 5605.
    any valid solutions.... please help... [-o<
    aav!o
    You have a developer telling you it does not get filled in. It could simply be a redundant field no longer used. Not really sure why you are so obsessed with it. :D

So lets assume it never gets filled in, so there is no "how" - where is your issue - the group is assigned to the depreciation book and everything posts correctly without it set.

The report you are referencing does not have the fixed asset posting group as a set filter. Yes you can bring it forward, but this is you bringing forward a redundant field. The report can be run by posting group because you have to tell it the depreciation book which gives you this.
    AdamRoue wrote:
    It could simply be a redundant field no longer used. Not really sure why you are so obsessed with it. :D
    [-X
    Adam, :-$ for all the existing FA entries this particular field is filled :!: ,but for newly created(by me) FA entries its not filled.....
    AdamRoue wrote:
    So lets assume it never gets filled in, so there is no "how"
    :mrgreen:best solution 2009!!! :mrgreen:
    AdamRoue wrote:
    where is your issue - the group is assigned to the depreciation book and everything posts correctly without it set.
    yes..for mee too...

still my doubt is not answered :cry: ...how did 'FA Posting Group' field in Fixed asset table get filled...? and when [-o<
    aav!o
    So let me guess

You data migrated your fixed assets in and populated the fixed asset posting group on an assumption without knowing what it did?

This means it is still redundant it is just you did not understand it,so I send the [-X right back at you :D

2009 will not change this, I am sure the field will still be in the table, but still not used.

So to answer your doubt, it seems it does not get filled in unless you design a data migration to fill it in. I am assuming you did this because you have already confirmed you cannot populate it manually.
    aavio wrote:
    AdamRoue wrote:
    It could simply be a redundant field no longer used. Not really sure why you are so obsessed with it. :D
    [-X
    Adam, :-$ for all the existing FA entries this particular field is filled :!: ,but for newly created(by me) FA entries its not filled.....

may be someone filled that field before manually
    may be someone filled that field before manually
    i dont think its filled manually, in the client side user will be editing in the form level only. i think its filled with some posting or other process.... :|

can any one suggest a manual for understanding fixed asset in detail.... :-({|=
    aav!o
    If there is one it will be on Partnersource/Customersource. There used to be one as I had a hard copy of one.
  • Sophia_SinghSophia_Singh Member Posts: 42
    Hi!!!!!!!!!!
    It gets updated through Fixed asset card header.........But if Disposed of is set to true it cannot be updated in table................

regards,
    Sophia =D> =D> =D>
    Hi!!!!!!!!!!
    It gets updated through Fixed asset card header.........But if Disposed of is set to true it cannot be updated in table................

regards,
    Sophia =D> =D> =D>

where should i check for disposal field?

in Line
    Atlast i found the cause for my problem.... \:D/

by default "FA Posting Group" field in fixed asset table will not get filled, with new entries or posting. it will be blank....
    but if you run report 5605 with 'Group Totals' set as 'FA Posting Group' in the request option tab then it will excute
    IF GroupTotals = GroupTotals::"FA Posting Group" THEN
      FAGenReport.SetFAPostingGroup("Fixed Asset",DeprBook.Code);

called from OnPreReport of report 5605.
    within this function if 'FA Posting Group' in FA depreciation book is different from 'FA Posting Group' in Fixed Asset then it will be replaced with 'FA Posting Group' in FA depreciation book .

thank you friends for all you valuable posts...thank you mohana,AdamRoue,Sophia Singh =D> and a biiiig SORRY to AdamRoue :cry: [-o< =D>
    aav!o
    No need for the apology, just glad you got there in the end!! :D
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I think that field is only required if you integrate with G/L. Check your depreciation book setup to see if integration with G/L is selected.

If not, call your NSC to take a look you.
  • FaulconFaulcon Member Posts: 19
    2 years later and I had exactly the same question. Glad someone already worked it out for me because I was completely lost trying to work out how that field was being populated when the users couldn't even see it and why it had apparently stopped all of a sudden without any changes being made.

That said this whole concept of storing the same data in multiple tables makes me wince, goes against just about every rule of database design there is.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Faulcon wrote:
    That said this whole concept of storing the same data in multiple tables makes me wince, goes against just about every rule of database design there is.

I disagree. To me it seems logical in this case. This allows us to sort data where we can have multiple posting groups in 2 Depr. Books for same asset.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • FaulconFaulcon Member Posts: 19
    Oh I understand why they do it, the way Navision reports work make this the simplest workaround. It's endemic right throughout Navision. Still doesn't make it good practice because as soon as you have the same data recorded in two unlinked locations it is only a matter of time before you have conflicting data.

Simple example, a user decides they want to also use any of the other standard Fixed Asset reports but adds a filter on 'FA Posting Group'. All of a sudden they're getting peculiar results that are inexplicable resulting in this thread. The answer, "Run the Book Value 01 report and then run the report you actually wanted" is not a polished and professional solution.

Further examples would be the myriad dimension tables for global dimensions in addition to recording them in the applicable table or the recording of customer/vendor no against both lines and headers in orders.
    Microsoft should atleast try to provide better documentation. For many fields it just defines as 'The program uses this field internally'. Purpose they could have mentioned. [-(
    aav!o