Options

Alter database to single user freezes

TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
edited 2011-06-12 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

This is not a request for help, more a post to let you all know an issue I ran into and how I fixed it in case someone else has the same issue.

I've been building a lot of NAV2009 Servers recently.

One of the things that I do after I have installed the server from the wizard is set the security model back to standard, to do this the database has to be in single user mode.

In my latest environment I am running Server 2003, SQL Server 2008. When I select "Database, Alter, Single User" from inside NAV Classic client it hangs.

The issue I found was that there is a NDO Shadow session running, I kill this from within SQL Activity Monitor and the database pops into single user mode.

Hopefully if anyone else gets this issue this will help.

Cheers

t

Comments

• Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Isn't that the Service Tier running?
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    The problem described will be fixed in 6.0 SP1.

The [NDO Shadow Session xxx] is a second connection that c/side creates and utilizes when it needs to issue SQL statements outside of the main transaction; these are typically "sp_" security statements, for example, to manage the application role creation/deletion. [It is also used for LinkedInTransaction=No LinkedObjects but that is another scenario].

It is OK to kill the connection but the c/side client that has created it might error because it expects it to be alive.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    ReinhardReinhard Member Posts: 249
    Same problem but using R2. Solution (kill Nav service) worked.
  • Options
    ShedmanShedman Member Posts: 194
    Another option that works more consistently is setting Single User Mode from SQL Server Management Studio:
    - Right-click the database and select Properties
    - Select Options
    - Set 'Restrict Access' from MULTI_USER to SINGLE_USER