Options

SIFT Levels List

YuriYuri Member Posts: 16
Hi!
Recently I begun to analyze keys of some large tables, and occasionally I discovered one interesting form "SIFT Level List"
(You can find it by this way: Open table for design -> View Keys->Show columns (SIFT Levels To Maintain))
Does anybody know the practical meaning of this form? :wink:
Best regards, Yuri

Comments

• Options
    cnicolacnicola Member Posts: 181
    Hi,

SQL does not have such a thing as SIFT technology. Therefore the flowfields are implemented through a set of tables based on the number of levels that you just saw.
    So for each level you have say for a key in Cust. Ledger Entry table the SQL server will maintain an internal table in which will insert/ update/ delete data everytime a record is inserted/deleted/modified in Cust. Ledger Entry table.
    The levels you have will allow you to trade off reporting speed with database transaction speed. It is recommended to turn off any level you do not need ... If a level is turned off and you report on it the system will calculate it on the fly which obviously will not be as fast as if it was precalculated ...
    This is a very crude explanation and if you get your hands on the Navision and SQL documentation it explains it there much better than I can ever will.

Hope this helps.

Cristi Nicola
    Apathy is on the rise but nobody seems to care.