Options

Change Listener error for user

boxerkeboxerke Member Posts: 24
edited 2009-06-17 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

A user in our company can access a database through RTC when he's connected to our domain. Once he unplugs his cable he's getting the following Change Listener error.

The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server due to the following error: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

This is some kind of strange error, because if there would be an error he should also give this when the user is connected to our domain. I have checked the NT AUTHORITY\Network Service security settings and he's dbadmin for the database, he is even sysadmin just to check if it was related to rights. And rechecked the setting from DB.[object tracking].

The SQL Server service is started with NT AUTHORITY\Network Service account.

If someone can give any light on this issue please let me know. As I don't know why he would give this error while client is disconnected from network.

Comments

• Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    Hey Boxerke,

Is the user in question running a local 2 tier setup?

t
  • Options
    TonyH wrote:
    Hey Boxerke,

Is the user in question running a local 2 tier setup?

t

Well for the Nav 2009 there is a tree tier setup. But he can also use 2 tier by using the normal client from nav 2009.
    He can work on the tree tier setup aslong as he's connected to our domain. This is where i think the setup in sql-server should be fine cause it does work when he's in the domain. But i cannot be entirely sure about this.
  • Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    I should have asked this a little better.

Is he running a server locally? If not and hes not hooked up the network then its not gonna work.
    Similarly you can setup 2009 to run the DB and Service Tier on the same machine, or separate. If they are not on the same machine and your user is disconnected from the Domain, you going to have issues.

Have you checked the settings in the Custom Config file for the service tier? Remember to restart the service if you changes these.

I had a similar issue after letting the wizard install 2009 on a server for me, I was going for the all in one machine setup.
    Exactly what I did I cannot remember but I renamed the DB in SQL and made some changes to the config file and got the error. I rebuilt the 2009 install and it worked fine.

There are some things to try here.

t
  • Options
    TonyH wrote:
    I should have asked this a little better.

Is he running a server locally? If not and hes not hooked up the network then its not gonna work.
    Similarly you can setup 2009 to run the DB and Service Tier on the same machine, or separate. If they are not on the same machine and your user is disconnected from the Domain, you going to have issues.
    Yeah, sorry. I may have been slack on the information i gave aswell. But as you ask, the user has a local SQL Server 2005 Standard on his machine. The network Service account is added inside that sql server.
    TonyH wrote:
    Have you checked the settings in the Custom Config file for the service tier? Remember to restart the service if you changes these.
    User has changed the custom config file several times in different ways. On IP\instancename, localhost\instancename and Computername\instancename. None of these works when he's out of the office with his portable. He can still connect to the database with the 2-tier client.
    User also knows after changing this setting to restart the service so the changes can go through.

All I can think of trying now, is to use a demo database i have here to test this on the client his portable. I will have to test this out once he's at our company.
    I might also have to change the service account just to test if it can be related to this "NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" account i've been using. Although i don't have this issue on my portable.