Options

License Requirement for Role Tailored Client

ZephyrZephyr Member Posts: 110
edited 2009-06-17 in NAV Three Tier
Can anybody suggest which of the following license will be required for Role Tailored Client:
a) Full Access User
b)DCO User

NAV server anyhow needs to be purchased.
I am getting conflicting opinions from lot of people including some of MS resources.
Zephyr

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    for RTC you need full access user.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    for RTC you need full access user.

Well if that is true then what is web-services with RTC all about. We were having employee portal earlier also which needs a lot of code to be written to make some feature available on web. The same is true even after RTC has come.
    Though RTC is a good technical improvement but for the time being NAV is not web enabled out of box.
    Zephyr
  • Options
    Some people in MS (No official words though which made me suspicious) are claiming that you need not buy full access user and RTC will make everything available on the web using web services out of box.
    Zephyr
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Zephyr wrote:
    Some people in MS (No official words though which made me suspicious) are claiming that you need not buy full access user and RTC will make everything available on the web using web services out of box.
    I don't know who you've talked to, and I doubt that this came from anyone who really knows what they are talking about, but that is simply not true. You can expose pages and codeunits as webservices out of the box, and that part is very easy to do. However, you will need to develop something to consume those webservices. It's not like you have a complete and comprehensive NAV web client with those webservices, that would be a severe misrepresentation of the facts.

As for licensing webservices, there's a lot of information about that going around, but the way I understand it is that you need a full license AND a DCO license for each user that connects to any NAV data through webservices. I probably completely misunderstand it though. Browse around in this forum and you'll find a lot of discusions about this.
  • Options
    Does that mean if 80% of the users (of our client) access NAV through web-services they would need full access user and DCO. That makes NAV economically unfeasible (though great promo offer are coming with NAV). Am I making a misstatement as I believe now is that full access user is only required when RTC/pages is used (Thanks for clarifying my doubt =D> ).

Seems we have to use employee portal only with no RTC :(
    Zephyr
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Only users running a NAV client (RTC or classic) require a full user license. Users accessing NAV thru WebServices (or othe methods) require a DCO license (for employees) or the External Connector (non employees). All users, regardless of access method, also require a valid SQL client access license.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    Only users running a NAV client (RTC or classic) require a full user license. Users accessing NAV thru WebServices (or othe methods) require a DCO license (for employees) or the External Connector (non employees). All users, regardless of access method, also require a valid SQL client access license.

Thats seems to be a good info. The client user will be accessing through webservices and Sql server 2008 processor based license is already in budget so I assume we can achieve what we trying to.

Thanks a lot =D> =D>
    Zephyr