Options

Item Tracking by Item/Location

KWevickKWevick Member Posts: 103
I have a client who desires to track serial numbers in their customer service location for items in repair inventory, but do not want to track or only track upon shipment, in their other locations (manufacturing). This is release 5.01 SP. They are also in the process of implementing Service Management.

ara3n stated in a similar inquiry, but for customer selection viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34618&hilit=item+tracking
You can setup the Item as FreeEntry, meanning you have the option to enter or not enter a serial No. Then with addition of a new boolean on customer card. Called Required Serial no, and some additional code to check in CU 22, you should be able make sure that those customer have a serial No.

Question - Is CU22 the only code unit that has to be updated or are others required for shipment, receipt, etc. I looked through the code unit and saw references for Item Journals and Consumption journals, but couldn't find sales and receiving specific areas. I'm not a NAV programmer, so I'll admit that I could have missed them and my programmer is off today.

Other work-arounds are also welcome. Thanks for your input.
Karen

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    The way I find out where to put the code is to setup an item as mandatory serial no.
    Try to sell the item and see where it errors out. Look at the call stack and see where in CU 22 it call the given CU. Add your code to error if the location new boolean is checked.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n