Options

Multiple Web server tiers

cwearnecwearne Member Posts: 3
edited 2010-07-22 in NAV Three Tier
We are a development shop. We currently have multiple clients, so we have configured our server tier box to run multiple versions of the Nav service. This all works fine, and is our preferred way of managing our solutions. The problem is creating multiple instances of the service tier for web service access. We DO NOT want to run with port sharing.

Other than the default service for WS, that points to port 7047, the additional services I create (with the HTTP dependency) error when I attempt to start them. The system log is telling me that there is already a listener on IP endpoint 0.0.0.0:7092.

The base service (ServerPort), which works fine, for RTC is running on port 7092. This is set in CustomSettings.config file. The web port (WebServicePort) to use is set to 7093.

Just to re-iterate. I can successfully create multiple services for the RTC and have them run. But the services I create for connecting web services, won't start.

Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    cwearnecwearne Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I did look at those blog articles. However they only deal with port sharing. I need to create multiple services with their own ports. E.g. LIVE on ports 7090 and 7091, and TEST on 7092 and 7093, for RTC and webservices respectively.

By the way, this is a 3 tier model using a domain account specifically for this setup. So it's not all on the one machine using the NETWORK SERVICE account. :)

Surely somone else has done this, and I'm probably making a simple mistake.

Cheers.
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    The thing that is very important is the way the Windows-services are registered and that is what you can take from the .bat files in my post.
    I cannot remember what exactly was the issue, but I know that if you missspell something then the WebService Listener thinks it is just another service tier (which would cause you to get the duplicate listener bug)

Hopefully this can help a little.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    MarioQMarioQ Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I've read your blog post about the multiple service tiers, but I'm not looking for a completely automated installation (i cannot get that to work somehow). To manually install the multiple service tiers works fine for me with the sc command, but how to install multiple webservices for more than 1 db I cannot find that anywere.
    I've configured the ports in the CustomSettings.config files (7046 and 7047 for the 1th db, 7048 and 7049 for the 2nd db etc) and this all works for the RTC client with the multiple service tiers, but what do I have to do next?

I hope someone can help me with this.

With kind regards,

Mario.