Options

Nav 2009 vs .Net

bluerockbluerock Member Posts: 32
edited 2009-06-10 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all

I did search the information about how Nav 2009 integrated with .Net.
I realised that:
1. .Net application can access the Nav data by using API.
2. Nav can use the user control created by Net.
3. Nav can have 'Web service' (but i don't know the service that is created by .Net or not)

I study C#.Net before. So I would like to know how i can use my C#.Net knowledge to improve Nav 2009?
Can anyone provide me more information? Thank You

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bluerock wrote:
    Hi all

I did search the information about how Nav 2009 integrated with .Net.
    I realised that:
    1. .Net application can access the Nav data by using API.
    2. Nav can use the user control created by Net.
    3. Nav can have 'Web service' (but i don't know the service that is created by .Net or not)

I study C#.Net before. So I would like to know how i can use my C#.Net knowledge to improve Nav 2009?
    Can anyone provide me more information? Thank You

I think you are confusing terminology here. You cant compare NAV 2009 vs .NET, that's like comparing Apples and Screwdrivers and Philosophy. (Yeah its even further than Apples and Oranges). Then you are looking at C# vs Navision. Again mixing concepts. Think of it this way, Navision you use, it serves a purpose, C# is just a simple development tool, you cant use it for anything, you just use the stuff you make using it, and .NET is just a concept, it does not exist in the real world.

My guess is that you know what C# is and you know what .NET is but you haven't a clue as to what NAV 2009 is.

soooo...... let me help you.

Dynamics NAV 2009 is the latest version of the BUSINESS APPLICATION Navision originally produced by PC&C. Navision is a system that is used to manage a companies day to day business, covering such things as ERP, Finance, Sales Purchase, Supply Chain. In general it manages the data that makes you business what it is.
    If you want to "improve Nav 2009" then first you need to understand what it is, and that means learning how accounting works, understand Debits and Credits, how does MRP work, and what is MRPII how does CRM differ from customer and order management, and how is it similar. What happens to my GL when I post a sales transaction. There is a lot more.

here are two started articles to get you started:

Learning Dynamics NAV

A test of your NAV skills

One thing absolutely Navision is NOT and that is a programming language. Yes it has a build in IDE, but that is way way way down on the list of important things you need to know about Navision.

Think of it like this, lets say you went out and bought a new car, well my objective of buy the car would be to drive the car from A to B and to get there on time, not to start working out how I could design a better Aluminum alloy to improve the thermal efficiency of the pistons.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    bluerockbluerock Member Posts: 32
    Hi David. thanks for your explanation.
    Yes, I am a beginner in Navision. And I just learn Nav 4.0 two weeks ago.

I post this topic because I notice that .Net technologies can be used to integrate with Nav. By using C/Front .Net, an application(.Net IDE) is allowed to access the data of Nav.

Anyway, your explanation is very clear to me. thanks a lot :D
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Glad to help.

Just remember that you need to know how to drive the car first BEFORE you try to make it better by replacing the round wheels with square ones. :mrgreen:

Good luck.
    David Singleton