Options

Consequence of Traceflag 4616

dabba23dabba23 Member Posts: 77
Hi,

I have a client where I need to upgrade from Nav3.70 til Nav5.01 and SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005.

My client has asked for a technical explanation of the consequences to the other databases by setting Traceflag 4616.
The reason for this, is that they have other databases on the SQL Server 2005 and will not install Navision on a seperate.

I have looked "everywhere" for an explanation that clearly states this. I understand that it opens up for security, but what does that exactly mean in terms of accessing the other databases by other users?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Ann

Comments

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    There are no apparent consequences to other databases (security is relaxed really really really slightly).

Apparently you haven't googled too intensive for it. There is a lot of materials around describing in a great details what exactly this trace flag does.

For example:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188396.aspx :

4616 :
    Makes server-level metadata visible to application roles. In SQL Server, an application role cannot access metadata outside its own database because application roles are not associated with a server-level principal. This is a change of behavior from earlier versions of SQL Server. Setting this global flag disables the new restrictions, and allows for application roles to access server-level metadata.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03