Options

Navigate with numbers instead of arrows or tab

smalarsmalar Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I'm searching for a solution to navigate with the numbers of the numpad in a table.

Background:
In our shipping department we are trying to save space and so the users at the packing stations just use a numpad and most functions they use are accesible through shortcuts.
But there is the problem, that when they open the form with the database of the packing articles, they can't navigate in it, just the tab on the numpad works, but they have to navigate up and down.

I've tried to use the sendkey function, but its not possible, because if you hit a key in the table the search box pops up.

Someone has an idea, to stop the search function or another hint to solve the problem?

thanks in advance,
Steffen

Comments

• Options
    jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 999
    Turn off numlock ?
  • Options
    it doesn't have one
  • Options
    jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 999
    Well you are sort of stuck if the users want to use the keyboard for numerical operations as well.

There are several ways to go.
    i looked at the product and you can change the hotkeys to do other operations through logitech set point.
    you can look at setting the default property of the login user to numlock = off.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314879

Maybe you can make a hotkey turn this setting off and on when users need either function.

Somewhere in the middle you will find your answer, but looks like you didn't do any testing of the product for useability so
    you have created your own problem
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I would find a numerical pad that DOES have a numlock on it.
  • Options
    jannestig,

1. there isn't any possibility to reprogram the numpad with set point, or at least I don't have find anything, I've installed it and I searched the web, no way,
    I've tried KeyTweak and it doesn't recognize real hits on the 3 extra Buttons; these are still hard coded macros,

2. the pad ignors the numlock, it still gives back numbers, never mind if numlock is on or off.

I know, that I've created my own problem, but the situation occurs only about 2% of their work, mostly they just scan the article. So its just fine tuning to make it easier for them. (they still have a mouse, but not in their direct working area).

Denster,

sadly I doesn't find any. I'm already happy, that this numpad has more then thr ordinary keys.

any other ideas?
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    smalar wrote:

sadly I doesn't find any. I'm already happy, that this numpad has more then thr ordinary keys.

any other ideas?

I use the Logitec DiNovo, which is very similar to the one you are using, except it does have num lock. It think that it must be cheaper just to throw out the duds and buy new keypads.
    David Singleton