Options

Database Size

lovelyklovelyk Member Posts: 83
Dear All,

my client's database size is around 450 GB which i want to reduce.

client is using NAV 4.0 sp3 with sql server 2005.

kindly advice

Comments

• Options
    idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    edited 2009-06-11
    Try the jobs under Administration -> IT Administration -> Data Deletion followed by database shrink if needed, consequences wise it's up to you to find out... [-X [-X [-X [-X
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    no, don't start with data deletion: maybe the problem is somewhere else: did you check how large is your transaction log?
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,098
    Do you also have a correct fillfactor (+ 90%) and a good maintenance plan to rebuild the indexes?
    Do you have done some SQLtuning? A sideeffect of that is that the DB decreases in size.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    and also upgrading to 5 sp will cut out sift tables (but you have to be very careful because of performance issues)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    lovelyklovelyk Member Posts: 83
    Dear Belias,

My database size is around 200 GB & Log is around 250 GB.

could you kindly guide me If I truncate the log the i will not harm the processing of my operation.

Regards
  • Options
    lovelyk wrote:
    Dear Belias,

could you kindly guide me If I truncate the log the i will not harm the processing of my operation.

Regards
    there are a plenty of topics in mibuso written by sql experts (not me :mrgreen: ): search mibuso for "truncate log" or "full recovery model"...you should find the answer with explanation, too.
    edit: truncating and shrinking log, should reduce it TO (not "BY") some MB (you can choose how big you want it, but take a look to other topics in order to find the best solution for you)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    idiot wrote:
    Try the jobs under Administration -> IT Administration -> Data Deletion followed by database shrink if needed, consequences wise it's up to you to find out...
    Wow nice advise. =; NOT!!!!

Although most of us will interpret this as sarcasm, you should have added a smiley or something, since lovelyk might take you seriously and do this.

lovelyk, note that the data compression routines are very dangerous, and you need to do extensive testing before you even think of running them. If you do run them, it may be impossible to upgrade you system later.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    lovelyk wrote:

lovelyk you seriously need to get some NAV/SQL expert to help you ASAP. What has your partner said about this? If your partner can not help you, then maybe try contacting Microsoft directly to see if they can help, Microsoft are doing a lot in India right now to help resolve issues like this with partners and customers.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Although most of us will interpret this as sarcasm, you should have added a smiley or something, since lovelyk might take you seriously and do this. ...

Ok done boss.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • Options
    strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Hi!

With NAV 4.0 you should look into SIFT optimization first (see http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2007/10/28/included-columns-vs-sift-tables.aspx)
    this would erase a lot of SIFT records, thus reducing the db size (usually remarkably).

As you TLog is so big:
    Are you running TLog Backups? If not you should. Or change the Recovery Model to simple.
    Once the TLog is truncated you could shrink the physical file using a DBCC SHRINKFILE command (see Books Online about details)
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool