Options

Build a date from text

lgplgp Member Posts: 77
Hi,
I need to build a date from text so I can use it in an Aging calculation. The client uses part of the Lot No. to represent Manufacturing date, so that the first five characters of the Lot No. 08126-FG-082 equals the 126th day of 2008 (first 2 characters 08 = 2008, next 3 characters 126 = 126th day of the year). I need to print the Mfg. Date on the report, then do an aging calculation so I can show Days Aged in the next column. I have gotten as far as using the Evaluate function to convert the characters to date -

String:='08126';
EVALUATE(D,COPYSTR(String,3,3));
EVALUATE(M,COPYSTR(String,5,2));
EVALUATE(Y,COPYSTR(String,1,2));
MfgDate:= DMY2DATE(D,M,Y);

However, I am missing M, so this isn't working very well...any ideas? :?
Thanks!
Leanne G. Paul
Business Applications/IT Advisor, Competitive Edge Services

Comments

• Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    I don't know if it'll work but here's some brainstorming:

You could use the Date virtual table. Filter the table to show records of type "Date".
    Filter the records to show only the year's dates. Then do a DateRec.NEXT(126);

Could such a thing work :-k (It should...)
  • Options
    kapamarou wrote:
    I don't know if it'll work but here's some brainstorming:

You could use the Date virtual table. Filter the table to show records of type "Date".
    Filter the records to show only the year's dates. Then do a DateRec.NEXT(126);

Could such a thing work :-k (It should...)

Thanks - it worked - sort of! It works on the first record (I am using Item Ledger Entries in a report). When it moves to the next record, it does not seem to be starting at the first record in the filter when it finds the NEXT date, even though I have done a RESET on the record variable. Here is the code:

DateTable.RESET;
    fromdate:=DMY2DATE(1,1,mfgyear);
    todate:=DMY2DATE(31,12,mfgyear);
    DateTable.SETFILTER("Period Type",'=Date');
    DateTable.SETRANGE("Period Start",fromdate,todate);
    DateTable.NEXT(Day);
    MfgDate:=DateTable."Period Start";

For example, on the first record, Day=126, indicating the 126th day of 2008, so MfgDate=5/5/08. On the next record, Day=150, so MfgDate=5/29/08. However, the program sets MfgDate to 10/02/08. 10/02/08 is the 276th day of 2008, 150 + 126 =276, so what it is doing is starting at the last date it found and adding the next value.

Does RESET work differently with Virtual Tables?

Thanks again!
    Leanne G. Paul
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    How about this.... MyYear is an integer variable, and MyDateExpression is a text variable
    IF NOT EVALUATE(MyYear,COPYSTR(LotNumber,1,2)) THEN // should evaluate the integer to the first two characters, so that would be 8 in this case
      MyYear := DATE2DMY(TODAY,3); // if that fails, use the year portion of the system date
    MyDateExpression := '+' + COPYSTR(LotNumber,3,3) + 'D'; // building a date expression here, so you would end up with '+126D'
    MfgDate := CALCDATE(MyDateExpression,DMY2DATE(1,1,MyYear)); // calculating the number of days from January 1 of the year

• Options
    In your code you need to add a FINDFIRST after applying the filters and before calling next.
  • Options
    What do you mean FINDFIRST and NEXT? I'm not using the Date table, I'm not setting any filters, I am concatenating a year number and a dateformula out of part of the Lot number, and calculating the MfgDate out of that.
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    What do you mean FINDFIRST and NEXT?

I didn't clear it out... My post was referring to lgp's post.
    Thanks - it worked - sort of! It works on the first record (I am using Item Ledger Entries in a report). When it moves to the next record, it does not seem to be starting at the first record in the filter when it finds the NEXT date, even though I have done a RESET on the record variable. Here is the code:

DateTable.RESET;
    fromdate:=DMY2DATE(1,1,mfgyear);
    todate:=DMY2DATE(31,12,mfgyear);
    DateTable.SETFILTER("Period Type",'=Date');
    DateTable.SETRANGE("Period Start",fromdate,todate);
    DateTable.NEXT(Day);
    MfgDate:=DateTable."Period Start";

For example, on the first record, Day=126, indicating the 126th day of 2008, so MfgDate=5/5/08. On the next record, Day=150, so MfgDate=5/29/08. However, the program sets MfgDate to 10/02/08. 10/02/08 is the 276th day of 2008, 150 + 126 =276, so what it is doing is starting at the last date it found and adding the next value.

Does RESET work differently with Virtual Tables?
  • Options
    kapamarou wrote:
    My post was referring to lgp's post.
    Right that makes sense now :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Hi All!
    I had the brainstorm about the FINDFIRST last night - and that worked. Thanks so much for all the responses! DenSter - I tried your code but I couldn't retrieve the year from TODAY or WORKDATE.
    Leanne G. Paul
  • Options
    MyYear := DATE2DMY(TODAY,3); // from the system date
    MyYear := DATE2DMY(WORKDATE,3); // from the workdate

MyYear is an integer. Check the syntax for DATE2DMY in the C/SIDE Reference Guide.