SQL Server 2005 DBMS Cache

ajaybabuChajaybabuCh Member Posts: 208
Hi

Is there any way to increase SQL Server DBMS Cache.
I can see DBMS cache for Navision native client.
What is the way to setup sql server dbms cache
OR
Is there any equivalent parameter for DBMS cache in SQL Server
Ajay

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, there isn't. Memory management is different on the MS SQL. SQL will use as many RAM as you allow. Check the memory limits on the MS SQL server.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can set up memory for SQL Server from SQL Server Management Studio. It's on the Memory page of the server properties window.
  • ajaybabuChajaybabuCh Member Posts: 208
    while performing the sales or transfer order postings

other users are getting the problem saying that "G l table is locked" or item ledger entry table is locked by some other user

This is happening more times , thats why end users are not able to perform their tasks properly.

I know that when we increase the dbms cache for native client we are able to solve the problem.

But its now facing the problem with sql databse.

any ideas how to eliminate this locking.
    Ajay
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Search the forum. Locking on SQL is wide area of possible sources. In general you need to be sure that your HW and SW is as optimal as possible.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    we are using Nav 2009 classic client

Anybody gives primary steps to perform first to reduce this problem.
    Ajay
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ajaybabuCh wrote:
    while performing the sales or transfer order postings

other users are getting the problem saying that "G l table is locked" or item ledger entry table is locked by some other user

This is happening more times , thats why end users are not able to perform their tasks properly.

I know that when we increase the dbms cache for native client we are able to solve the problem.

But its now facing the problem with sql databse.

any ideas how to eliminate this locking.

Ajay, you really do need to understand the concept of cause and effect. There is absolutely NO connection what so ever between cache and table locking. What is happening, is that the cache is allowing a faster commit to ram instead of a slow commit to disk, and this makes it appear as though the system is operating faster, thus the locks happen for a shorter time.

If you don't understand this, you will never effectively increase system performance. You will always be guessing, and never know what works and what does not.
    David Singleton
    Any Primary steps that I need to apply to SQL server or databse to avoid this.

Please give us some list of points to check to avoid this.

I am also searching for some proper document to avoid this.
    Ajay