3.70 A (NA) Validate field value typing first letter only

MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
Greetings All,

I remain a PM, not a coder, so this will likely be easy for someone.

I've got a field on the Sales Line table that's a look-up to another table (Bin Code). This other table contains only 3 records, each of which have 3 or 4 character, alphabetical codes. None begin with the same character.

In such situations, I have generally found that to simply key the first character of the record I want to populate the field with is effective. That is, so long as there's only one record that begins with the character I input, the right record validates into the field.

In this case though, it's not happening. The single character doesn't capture the corresponding record and I get an error message saying that (ex.) "Bin Code "w" does not exist".

The whole record code reads "WHSE" and we have to look it up and make selection the hard way. It makes for a lot of work if one must key a lot of sales lines.

Is there a form or table property driving this that I can change?

Thanks!

mw
I despise animal testing. They get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Answers

• SD-JRSD-JR Member Posts: 94
    Hi,

The issue is not a simple property change (had the same question myself - PM not developer). If a lookup is to a single key table e.g. Salesperson code or location code then you can get away with a single character type and find.

But the Bin table has a multiple primary key (Location, Bin) - so I'm sure it is possible to try code a validation on the bin field to add the location code specified to the lookup/validate but because of the level of coding on the bin code validate already in the sales line table I would be cautious about this.

i.e. test well
    Regards,

Ger
    Simply Dynamics Ltd
    Web: www.simplydynamics.ie
  • MW59MW59 Member Posts: 85
    Good points, Ger... the Location field is being populated first and the Bin Code look-up only shows the Bins related to the keyed Location. Thus my confusion.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I shared it with Programming and asked them to take a look.

mw
    I despise animal testing. They get all nervous and give the wrong answers.