Unit testing in Navision

DakkonDakkon Member Posts: 192
Has anyone created some a methodology for creating unit tests inside Navision, or had any thoughts on how to? I have been kicking around some different ideas of how to create a standardized way of making and running unit tests inside Navision and I thought I'd see if anyone else in the community had similar thoughts. I know there is rumor of unit testing in the new development tools, but I'm thinking more about something we can use now and with past versions of the product.
Thad Ryker
I traded my sanity for a railgun :mrgreen:

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Just wait for NAV 2009 SP1, there will be some support for that... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DakkonDakkon Member Posts: 192
    I know but that still leaves everyone prior to 2009 out in the cold, which is kind of what I'm hoping to try to solve in some fashion :)
    Thad Ryker
    E.g. by technical upgrade you can solve that, but yes, I know, it is not solution for all cases.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DakkonDakkon Member Posts: 192
    I'm certainly looking forward to the improvements in 2009 SP1, and the technical upgrade is a very good point. I sometimes forget about that one :)
    Thad Ryker
  • joelfeldmanjoelfeldman Member Posts: 2
    So it looks like Navision 2009 SP1 provides an automated test framework in the "C/AL Application Test Toolset". I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has begun using it. I have not seen any posts on it yet.
    I made examples on my blog, but I am not using it for now (NAV 2009 not released for our country yet), but I assume if we would use it, it will be only for some addons and some functions, not for whole NAV app (if there are no default test functions for the standard functionality). But I cannot imagine to have test-driven development for NAV on VAR level - the customer will not pay the additional time. I assume that on ISV level it will be much more usable, because repetitive sells of the addons will cover the cost.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • joelfeldmanjoelfeldman Member Posts: 2
    Kamil,
    Thanks for the pointer to your blog.
    Regards,
    Joel