Options

Integration with an External Application

bob_upbob_up Member Posts: 155
edited 2009-05-20 in NAV Three Tier
A new customer wants to be able to add customers, jobs, purchase orders etc directly into NAV 2009 from their bespoke application (written in Filemaker). They are already reading data from NAV 2009 using ODBC. I have linked systems by means of dataports in the past but havent been asked to go to this level before.

I have been doing background research, including trawling this site, and can see that NAS and the new v2009 'middle tier' are possible starting points (although I am confused by references to the latter as a web-server. our clients application is not web-based).

Can someone point me in the right direction. Is there developer documentation which would show me how an external application could add a record into Navision, firing the code on the appropriate OnValidate and OnInsert triggers ?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I recommend to read some documents about Web Services. What it is, how it can be used. Because the "mid-tier" is can offer you WebServices. And the Web in the name doesn't mean that it is only for Web applications... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I see what you mean. Thank you.
  • Options
    canadian_baconcanadian_bacon Member Posts: 91
    I think, from a performance standpoint, the best way to do this would be to insert the record to a staging table via ADO and then use the web service to call a codeunit to transfer the record to the appropriate table and at the same time, call the code on the validation triggers.
  • Options
    In the meantime I had been considering using pages, exposed as web services. I havent tested this option yet, but assume it fulfills my need to execute code on validation triggers etc ... ?

Your suggestion appeals to me from a link testing perspective, since there would be a physical record of the data being sent from the external application.

Incidentally, what did you have in mind when you suggested a 'staging table' ?