"Max. no. of XML records to send" option

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
Hi,

Has anyone played around with modifying the "Max. no. of XML records to send" option under "Tools", "Options"?

There doesn't seem to be anything in the documentation about this, but based upon observation, this is the maximum number of records you can send to Excel or Word using the "Send To" buttons on the toolbar in 5.x and above.

I'm wondering if there is an impact on memory usage, or other possible negative effects if this number is increased?

I have users that routinely cut-and-paste 15,000 records from grids into Excel (don't ask why - it's a sore point with me <grin>).
Ron

Comments

• vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    It is just a setting to avoid memory issues. I think you could put it higher and see if it is still workable.
    Performance is much more than only this setting, so I would give it a try.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    We did this at our largest implementation for just the accounting and marketing people.

I think i pushed it up to 50000 and it took about 10 mins so it can lock up a user if they are stupid with filtering options espically on list forms
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    jannestig wrote:
    We did this at our largest implementation for just the accounting and marketing people.

I think i pushed it up to 50000 and it took about 10 mins so it can lock up a user if they are stupid with filtering options espically on list forms

My users aren't "stupid" - just "resistant" to filtering first, THEN exporting to Excel. I'm trying to change their mindset, but it's a slow process.
    Ron
    You don't always want the clever users, believe me.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    I didn't call the user stupid just said they can do stupid things as can we all regardless of how intelligent we judge ourselves :D
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Also let's not forget that we are in an international community, and words don't carry the same weight when they are translated.

For instance this word 'stupid'. I was born and reaised in Holland myself, and we use a word 'stom'. This word 'stom' can be used for 'funny', or 'dumb', and some other things, which all carry a very 'light weight', but it is always translated to 'stupid'. I once made the mistake to say 'dont be stupid' to my wife's son, and was told in no uncertain terms to never call her son 'stupid' again. Even after I explained this to her, she was still very upset with me. I discovered that the word 'stupid' in the US always carries a 'heavy weight', and Americans are very sensitive about it. In Dutch, the word 'stom' usually means almost nothing, it is never considered to be very insulting at all, but in the US it almost always means something very insulting.

So, when someone with a flag that's not British or American uses the word 'stupid', don't get too upset, it's a translation issue. It's difficult to deal with this, because some members on here I've met have excellent English writing skills, but have a hard time in conversation. I am always amazed at how quickly English speaking people get upset over language, when they are really all put to shame by all the non-English speaking people in here. Try posting something in the Dutch or Italian or German board, and see how difficult it is to express yourself in a foreign language.
    We are loosing the track here...subject was Max. no of xml records to send.

To say it in dutch : geen nood om van deze vlieg een olifant te maken.
    In englisch : the same.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    In English: Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill

I'm trying to prevent an argument about nothing, but you're right that's not what this is about :mrgreen: