Options

NAS Licenses

WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
I want to implement a test environment of an implementation which uses 2 Navision Application Servers. I create a new database (in the same SQL Server), I create 2 new NAS Services, which connects to the new database. But now I got the error that "there are too many users logged in". I get this message in the event log, off course (from NAS).

When I have a user license of 200 users, than I can log in into a live database 200 times, and in a test database 200 times. I expect for NAS to do the same, but apparently it isn't the same.

A NAS License is very expensive, so I don't expect to buy extra licenses, just for testing reasons.

Can anyone help me?

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• Options
    bruno77bruno77 Member Posts: 62
    NAS is licensed separately from other users/sessions. The price is not as much as for a "Professional User" license (but close).

/Bruno
  • Options
    kvbkvb Member Posts: 107
    If you have version 3.6 and all that you want - is to have 2 open sessions(from one machine) on one NAS base
    then you should duplicate your Navision directory(excepts *.fdb and *.fbk files) and run 2 instances of fin.exe files.
    This is the only way that i know to do this :roll:

If you have 3.7 just ignore my post :)
  • Options
    Ian_piddigntonIan_piddignton Member Posts: 92
    Depending on how you have your database setup will alter how many times you can log in.
    If you do not hold the License in each Navision database(there is a check mark on the intergration table in File>database>new/alter) then all the databases draw from the same license. The maximum number of users you can log into the database is your license amount.

For example I have a License for 10 users. I have 2 databases on my SQL server, Live and Test. If 5 users log into live and into test(ie 2 sessions each) then that is my 10 user sessions used up and no more users can log in.

If you do hold the license in each navision databse(and you have to have the Per Database granule to be able to do this) the each database draws from its own license.

For example I have a License for 10 users. I have 2 databases on my SQL server, Live and Test. If 5 users log into live and into test(ie 2 sessions each) then I still have 5 sessions for each database left.

I am not entirely sure but I believe the same is true for NAS sessions.

For course if your Test database is on a different SQL sever or probably on a different instance of SQL server there is no problem