GATE compile error (online help)

mc2mc2 Member Posts: 5
Hello all.

I'm trying to create online help files, but keep running into a "parsehead' error message when using the GATE tool.

I see the the same error for every file within the project:

GATE 2.4.6 5/13/2009 3:07:53 PM

addin_i.hhp

error reading addin_i.hhp\t_14055916_101.htm in function parsehead
error reading addin_i.hhp\t_14055916_100.htm in function parsehead
error reading addin_i.hhp\t_14055916_4.htm in function parsehead
error reading addin_i.hhp\t_14055916_3.htm in function parsehead
error reading addin_i.hhp\t_14055916_2.htm in function parsehead
error reading addin_i.hhp\t_14055916.htm in function parsehead

Do you have any idea what might cause this error messge?

TIA

Comments

• mc2mc2 Member Posts: 5
    Oh - I'm using a trial version of RoboHelp 8; I've also tried using the GATE tool that comes with the NAV 4.0 Tools CD and the NAV 5.0 Online Help Toolkit.
  • serdarulutasserdarulutas Member Posts: 50
    Hello everyone,

I have the very same issue now. Does anybody know how to solve this problem.

Thank you,
    The problem is solved by copying original html files, which were generated by Navision, into project's source folder. Robohelp modifies html files by adding its own custom code while importing or editing. Therefore GATE is not able to compile the help files.
    another good idea would be using older versions of Robohelp. Robohelp 8 is not really compatible with GATE. Robohelp X5 solved all my problems,
    I opened a support ticket with Microsoft - if you use the online help tools from NAV 2009, and do not use RoboHelp to edit the html files, the process will work. I had to use Notepad to add help text to the html files.

The online help tools have changed with NAV 2009. They seem a bit easier to use.
    The problem is solved by copying original html files, which were generated by Navision, into project's source folder. Robohelp modifies html files by adding its own custom code while importing or editing. Therefore GATE is not able to compile the help files.

I couldn't use an earlier version of RoboHelp because they don't run on Vista machines, so I was forced to try using RoboHelp 8 (which didn't work due to the tags it inserts in the html files).
    after long trials and test, I have found a workaround solution to fix this.

If anyone wants to use Robohelp 8 with the old Gate tool, they need to modify the GATE macro. (The password can be found with a 3rd party application) The toc file that is created by Robohelp 8 is not the same as toc files generated by Robohelp's older versions. It has to be converted (xml to html conversion) . Also, many text files under the source directory have hidden binary characters at the beginning of the file which has to be removed in order Gate to be read. You can use a hex editor to see this.

Thanks