Test Database: Run it weekly/monthly/yearly? Do I need it?

humdidumphumdidump Member Posts: 17
Hi guys,

notes:
- dynamics nav 5.1 running on a SQL Server 2008
- Our database size is about 350GB.
- 200 user

In the dynamics client you will find the test database function. Here you can run a check to test blobs, test the primary keys and data`s and so on.

Can anybody tell me if i should run this tool? Can i get problems during running the tool? Is the result of the tool necessary or optimal to optimize my database/code? Should i run it once a week/month/year? Is anybody working with this tool?

Thanks for your report of one's experiences!

Regards from Bavarian,

Florian

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Its a bit scary that you are asking this just as you are about to convert to SQL. Basically you run this in Native to find data errors and disk errors, since the sooner you find an error the better the chance of being able to repair it. In SQL its generally a lot easier to repair the database, and thus testing is not as critical.

Best solution is once you move to SQL, run an NAV FBK backup and restore it once a week in the beginning then once per month. In native the really critical part is testing free space, since that is where the errors normally are, and if you find the error when there is no data there its simple to fix.
    David Singleton