Writing to a text file automatically

satraja2004satraja2004 Member Posts: 45
Hi All,

Is there any way to write the datas into a text file whenever datas are added to the database automatically.

Is OUTSTREAM used for this purpose, if yes, how can i use it?
Thanks & Regards

Raja.B

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Why you need that? It is because some integration with another software?

You need to take into account, that the data can be changed hundred times per minute, there can be millions record etc.

Writing automatically each time into some file doesn't seem like good solution for me. Files are for off-line communication, if you need something on-line, there are other ways...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    moreover, what if 2 users have to modify the same file automatically at the same time?
    one of the users will receive an error because the file is already open...and this is only the "top of the iceberg"
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • satraja2004satraja2004 Member Posts: 45
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.
    I need to back up some 250 gb of data in 2 days from clients system.
    so i thought of taking back up upto which is possible in these 2 days and writing the remaining into a text file whenever the user updates the database.

Is it a righ choice?
    say me the best ways that i can acheive that task.
    Is there any way to fastly back up those gb of datas within that given time?
    Thanks & Regards

Raja.B
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can take a backup whenever you need, and it will contain whatever data the database contains at that time. If you are on the native C/SIDE database server then you won't be able to get the data that is entered after you take the backup.

If you are on SQL Server you can take a full backup now and transaction log backups after that, but in that case it's not going to take 2 days to backup and restore. SQL Server backups are usually very fast.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Are you saying it's taking 2 days to backup 250 GB? Is this SQL? If so there are ways to backup that amount of data much faster.

One other difference between a NAV backup (*.fbk) and a SQL Backup:

A NAV backup will contain all data at the point the backup was started. A SQL backup will contain all data at the point the backup ended.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Hi BBrown,

I am not saying Baking up of 250 GB of datas taking 2 days,
    client have given only 2 days to back up those 250 GB of datas.

we have to backup from navision only.

we have to do upgradtion, so only we need to back up the data first.
    Thanks & Regards

Raja.B
    If you're just now starting the upgrade, there is no need for an up to the minute backup. You still have the object merge to go, conversion, test upgrade, and then you do the final upgrade, which you should plan during a weekend anyway.

At that time you will need to take a new backup to build the final upgrade database, shut down the system until the final conversion is done. Putting serious development effort into a system that automatically writes data to a text file is the wrong thing to do here.
    Hi Denster,

I exactly understood what i need to do, Thanks for ur help =D>

But i have a doubt, is it possible to take back up of 250 GB of datas in 2 days, is there any quick ways? #-o :-k
    Thanks & Regards

Raja.B
    Hi Denster,

Thanks for ur help, =D> \:D/

Can u say me what is the way for it? [-o<
    Thanks & Regards

Raja.B
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'General Chat' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Yeah, start the backup process, and wait for it to be done.