Item Ledger Compression in 5.1

slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
We are upgrading many of our customers to 5.1 and have noticed that Report 798 (Date Compress Item Ledger) is missing. We have customers that generate millions of Item and Value Entry records through sales transactions and despite it's problems in earlier versions we have used it successfully to compress to monthly levels when needed. Anyone know where it went and why?

I suppose I could copy 798 from a 4.3 version to a 50000 range but that would require extensive testing, especially with cost considerations.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I've looked at 2009 and 2009 sp1 and it looks like it's not coming back.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ara3n wrote:

Yippee!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I guess that it is because now MS SQL is default solution for the NAV and it can handle BIG tables if set correctly.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Read the release statement it states big and bold its gone for good.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bbrown wrote:
    ara3n wrote:

:-k not sure if I feel the same as you. That routine in most cases destroys databases, and my job is fixing databases, so yeah it's great in many ways, but does it mean less work for me in the future? :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I spent last month on a client database fixing ILE, value entry, Item application quantity fields. It wasn't fun.

A consultant/dev had run a processing report and had zeroed out qty in ILE.
    The application were screwed up. It was a lot of work to make sure all the qty, rem qty and item application qty and entries were created correctly.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • dbdb Member Posts: 82
    bbrown wrote:
    ara3n wrote:

:-k not sure if I feel the same as you. That routine in most cases destroys databases, and my job is fixing databases, so yeah it's great in many ways, but does it mean less work for me in the future? :mrgreen:
    Now compresion become secret magic tool and will worth only more O:)
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    db wrote:

The only compression I would use are anything other than inventory related.

G/L compression is good and customer/vendor compression is good. Just stay away from inventory.
  • dbdb Member Posts: 82
    Alex Chow wrote:
    db wrote:

The only compression I would use are anything other than inventory related.

G/L compression is good and customer/vendor compression is good. Just stay away from inventory.

Sure, but only for original compression routine. Inventory tables are most painfull in all db and compression of it gives best results, but inprovement of code is essential.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    db wrote:
    but inprovement of code is essential.

Or in this case, completely eliminating it. :lol:
    I don't know how many times I hear data compression/deletion being recommended as a first-pass solution to resolve performance issues.
  • slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
    jannestig wrote:

I can't find the release statement anywhere. Is there any reason why it went away? 3.6 was the only version where it was really trash. We have had success with it at 3.7 and 4.3.

We have a few customers that can accumulate 100GB of data per year with 70% of that being Item Ledger and Value Entry.
    jannestig wrote:

I can't find the release statement anywhere. Is there any reason why it went away? 3.6 was the only version where it was really trash. We have had success with it at 3.7 and 4.3.

We have a few customers that can accumulate 100GB of data per year with 70% of that being Item Ledger and Value Entry.

Microsoft probably got tired of the support calls when it doesn't work right. ](*,)