NAV and Windows 7 RC

tedcjohnstontedcjohnston Member Posts: 41
Installed Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) over the weekend. Was able to install NAV 2009 easily. Installed Windows XP Mode then installed NAV 4.0SP1 (our current version) into the VM. Now I can run a fully installed NAV40 on Windows 7 at the same time as NAV 2009.

Sweet! \:D/
"There are only two truly infinite things: the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Corollary- Build and idiot proof system and nature will build a better idiot.

Answers

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Can you have SQL on Win7, NAV 4.0 in your VM with the database on the host?
  • tedcjohnstontedcjohnston Member Posts: 41
    I have SQL on another box to enhance performance. Had to setup the VM to share my NIC and join the domain in order to get it to login to SQL via windows authentication.

Plan to install SQL later.

Started working on my upgrade this morning and found a major issue. XP Mode messes with copy and paste. If I select custom fields out of a table in the 4.0 version in the VM, I can't paste them into 2009 running on the OS. ](*,)

So, I copied the db in SQL to a new db and am now converting it to 2009 so I can use two 2009 clients to run through the upgrade. Will continue to use the XP Mode version to do any mods while the upgrade is taking place.

Ah the joys of managing multiple versions- and I'm not even a consultant anymore.
    "There are only two truly infinite things: the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
    Corollary- Build and idiot proof system and nature will build a better idiot.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    edited 2009-05-11
    8><

sorry personal rant does not belong here. :oops:
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am using W7 without problems... :-) and Vista too... may be the problem is elsewhere than in the PC... :mrgreen:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    edited 2009-05-11
    8><

David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    edited 2009-05-11
    Ok, David removed, I will remove too to not hijack the thread...

I am using W7 with NAV 2009 and NAV 4.00SP3 and NAV 5.00 without problems too. All working as expected (it means as it worked under Vista).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    8><

In summary...

Its a great achievement, and good to know it can be done. But is it just me, or is anyone else out there a little bit _annoyed_ that Microsoft products don't just work together.
    David Singleton
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    :mrgreen: That is Microsoft !!!!!!!!!!!
    Kapil Khanna