SOprocessing-Print invoice before posting delivery

gda75gda75 Member Posts: 11
Hello,

Can someone advise if it is possible to change the process on the sales order? i.e print the invoice and update the customer records and gl information before posting the delivery/shipment.

The client would like to print out the invoice first and afterwards post the delivery. Note that sometimes the client does partial delivery hence multi delivery note for the same invoice no. The invoice will be printed out thus generating the invoice no and all the item details before the actual delivery.

Has someone come across this before. Can you pls advise a possible solution?

What are the implications of changing the sales order process in Navision if we go this route.

Thanks.

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Do they really want to recognise the customers liability and ledger transactions prior to the shipment of the goods?

I have worked where the customer wants to provide a proforma invoice prior to shipment, in this manner we produced another report from the sales order.

If however you want to produce the invoice before the shipment this is indeed a complete re-write of the posting routines. I would recommend against it, it will be a massive job I would guess, I would talk to the customer and understand what they are trying to achieve and come up with alternatives. Is it even legal to represent the sale prior to the sale being made? :D You will have VAT/Tax liabilities before movement of goods etc.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Actually Steve it's not all that complex. I have made this mode many times for clients.

Generally the valid business need. Is that this is a "job" type of project, where the client is being billed as the project progresses, not at completion. Rather than simply a Deposit or pre-payment, the issue is that some value has been transferred to the client. Of course there is a case to argue that you should use the Navision Jobs module, but before 5.00 I think we can agree that Navision really did not have a "Jobs Module". ...And although 5.00 goes a long way, it still has a long way to go before Jobs Actually work in Navision. Try to create a job in Navision that can accurately track phased billing and also keep inventory properly tracked etc.

So I do think in many instances there is a case to use Sales Orders instead of Jobs. Of course we have to assume that the OP has already exhausted all possibility of using Jobs first.
    David Singleton
  • gda75gda75 Member Posts: 11
    actually my client is in the distribution industry. So it will be hard to use the job module.

if we can produce the legal invoice with all the information as you said but we do not post it to the customer account. But the main issue will be the invoice number generation and also how can we do for multipule delivery against that same invoice which has already generated and handed out to the client.

1) Note that invoice number has to appear on the statement of accounts at the end of the month.
    2) How do we deal with the invoice no generation
    3) How do we control the security on the Sales order.

thks
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    David - It just did not seem like a project/job related post, but yes I should have thought about that area.

As for the OP questions it all really depends upon what you want to acieve. A proforma only has a proforma reference, so you could use the sales order number, but you want an actual generated invoice number, or is this because you "believe" you do? You could have the statement showing the order number, but there are so many complications and "ifs" and "buts" that there any point I make raises many more questions.

If the customer wants to generate an invoice with all the legal aspects and system postings of an invoice prior to shipping the goods you will need to modify the system.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen