how to open Converted 5.0 Native DB in 3.6 Native client

rajpatelbcarajpatelbca Member Posts: 178
Hi Experts,

i have one Nav 3.6 Native DB which is converted in Nav 5.0. this DB is opened only in 5.0
Native client. when i am trying to open it with 3.6 Native client then it's showing me message written below.

" The database file cannot be used with this version of the program."

is there any way to revert it ? i mean i want to open it in 3.6 Native Client.

Thanks in Advance...
Experience Makes Man Perfect....
Rajesh Patel

Comments

• vyankuvyanku Member Posts: 791
    If the database is converted in new version means it converts some of the tables and there properties.
    If you have SQL database you have to identify those tables and replace those tables by old database tables with DTS or import /export wizard.
    This is what we had done for one of our client. But you need to identify those tables first and y.ou must have old database as will as new converted database.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    There is one way only:

Backup your db under V5 client and restore it under 3.6 Client.

There is no way to directly open database on older version client once it was converted to newer version.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • rajpatelbcarajpatelbca Member Posts: 178
    Thank you Slawek for prompt reply.

i am doing same but there is a problem in restoring database. whole restore process done successfully. it restore only few table. those table which does not have any data is not available in restored database. forms, codeunit, dataport are not restored in this process.

any idea about this problem.. ](*,)

thanks,
    Raj
    Experience Makes Man Perfect....
    Rajesh Patel
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

Try to restore only table data, and common data, but not application objects.

Then import all application objects either from separate fob created in V5 Client, or directly from fbk file. Just remember to exclude (skip) all V5 specific tables, XMLports and menus.

The drawbak is that your tables will be not exportable to text from V3.6 client anymore.

If you have developer licence you can export all tables (and only tables) to text file in V5 client, remove manually Clustered=Yes property in every single table definition, and import text to V3.6 client, overwritting all tables imported from fob file.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Thank you Slawek for prompt reply.

i am doing same but there is a problem in restoring database. whole restore process done successfully. it restore only few table. those table which does not have any data is not available in restored database. forms, codeunit, dataport are not restored in this process.

any idea about this problem.. ](*,)

thanks,
    Raj

First find a recent 3.60 backup. Restore this to a new database, but restore ONLY objects and data common to all companies. DO NOT restore the company(s).

Now restore the 5.00 backup into this new database. Note you must first delete and 5.00 data that was created in the new database BEFORE you create the backup.
    David Singleton