SMTP Mail Setup (NAV 2009)

KELLIKELLI Member Posts: 21
I setup my SMTP Mail Setup (Administration / IT Administration / General Setup ) with

SMTP Server = company mail server ip address (it is an exchange server) (000.00.00.000 [not the ip address just the idea])
Authentication = NTLM

When executing Document Approval function (Purchase Order / Functions / Send Approval Request) I get the following message

The SMTP mail system returned the following error: (0x80040213): The transport failed to connect to the server.

I have also tried the other Authentications, Basic (entering mail's userid and pw) and Anonymous and still get the same message. What am I missing? In the Document Approval setup I have designated e-mail addresses for the users and approver. All the same address. It has made me nuts! Help Please

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Ask your Exchange administrator to allow mail relay from the Server IP address.
    When i used it, i used with anonymous authentication and mentioned the server name. But it shud work with IP address as well, but this error (0x80040213) specifies that mail relays are not allowed which is basically
    An open mail relay is an SMTP server configured in such a way that it allows anyone on the Internet to send e-mail through it, not just mail destined to or originating from known users
    Kapil Khanna
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Open mail relay allows anyone to use the company's SMTP server to send mail. This includes people who have nothing to do with the company. This is exactly why the administrator has it setup this way. Disabling their security setup is not the solution to this problem. Use NTLM and login as an authenticated user. (One that is setup in Exchange)
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ChowdaryChowdary Member Posts: 148
    edited 2012-05-07
    bbrown wrote:
    Open mail relay allows anyone to use the company's SMTP server to send mail. This includes people who have nothing to do with the company. This is exactly why the administrator has it setup this way. Disabling their security setup is not the solution to this problem. Use NTLM and login as an authenticated user. (One that is setup in Exchange)

Hi bbrown

Can you help me to solve this:
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49582&p=242308#p242308

I am using smtp.gmail.com
    I don't really understand (One that is setup in Exchange)
    Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

your problem is that you are using gmail's smtp. This uses a different port than 25. The NAV SMTP works with port number 25 only.
    If you are running NAV on 2009SP1 or 2009R2, then you can request hotfix 2499881 with Microsoft.
    This hotfix will allow you to change the port.

If you are not on either 2009SP1 or 2009R2, you can only use smtp on port 25.

hope this helps,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Hi,

your problem is that you are using gmail's smtp. This uses a different port than 25. The NAV SMTP works with port number 25 only.
    If you are running NAV on 2009SP1 or 2009R2, then you can request hotfix 2499881 with Microsoft.

hope this helps,

Willy

Thanks for the info. Didn't know about that hotfix?

Would the use of a SMTP Relay be another option? NAV would communicated to the relay host on standard port, and then the relay would connect to external SMTP (gmail) on specific port.
    edited 2012-05-07
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Hi,

hope this helps,

Willy

yes, that gave me a clear picture.
    I'm using 2009 R2 only. so, how to request hotfix to microsoft?
    can you give more details about this request?
  • mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    Chowdary wrote:

What do you do if we can provide all details?
    Dont you know how to google?

https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb$EN-US$2499881&wa=wsignin1.0
    edited 2012-05-07
    Chowdary wrote:

What do you do if we can provide all details?

https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb$EN-US$2499881&wa=wsignin1.0
    edited 2012-02-17

Yes, I have got it.
    I mean to say, next time.
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    @bbrown.
    Yes, I think that using relay should be feasible. However often when you have email relay, you have Microsoft Exchange and then there is no real need for SMTP.
    I am absolutely no expert on setting up relaying, however I did notice at several of our customer sites the network administrator switched to fixed IP addresses for the computers that need the SMTP relay. I believe that this is caused because the firewall will block all the SMTP traffic but this can be configured to allow certain originating IP addresses. Does this help?
    ...should this be "Don't you know how to Bing?" 8) :D
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    I find relays are used for just the opposite. When you don't have an internal SMTP server and need to route via a public server.