Fixed Assets

samblue600samblue600 Member Posts: 84
Hi

I have few clarification in Fixed Asset it would be nice if someone could help me out..I am using Nav 5.0 sp1 Indian version

a) Can someone Say What is the use of Retrospective effect of depreciation batch job. I tried in help not much information was given..

b) What would be the effect if i didnt select any Depreciation book as Default depreciation book

c) Use of Half year convention and DB% first fiscal year in Fixed Asset.. Help didnt help me much.

d) What does Custom 1 and Custom 2 refer too..

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    1. This batch job calculates the depreciation amount and populates the relevant data on journal lines. (That too depends on how u have setup ur FA module) . After u get records just post them !!!!

2. If u don't select depreciation book system will not allow you to post the entry. (In this case integration to G/L doesn't matter) Once u setup ur FA master, it will bring book name automatically on journal lines .

3. A half-year convention means that a taxpayer claims a half of a year's depreciation for the first taxable year, regardless of when the asset was actually put into service.

DB % first fiscal year means For example, if an asset that costs $1,000 is depreciated at 25% each year, the deduction is $250.00 in the first year and $187.50 in the second year, and so forth.

4. Custom 1 and Custom 2 are meant for calculating depreciation by method which you want to use and are not given by default by NAV. In any case i believe NAV has given all the prominent methods of depreciation calculation.
    Kapil Khanna
  • samblue600samblue600 Member Posts: 84
    Thanks! for your Reply.. Where do I Setup Custom 1 & Custom 2 Calculation Method in Navision or is it Manually entering the Values and posting it
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Look if u post Custom 1 and Custom 2 entries they will come in your FA ledger as type Custom 1 0r 2 (depending on what u use) , not as entry type depreciation exactly and always. U need to setup Custom 1 and Custom 2 accounts (if u r using both) in ur FA posting group and go to your depreciation book card -> FA posting setup and u can see possible combination s u can mention there in context to these. These are manual entries.
    For example if i check "Part of Book Value" field and post an entry with custom i can have following result

So if u have Ac Cost $100

Depreciation -$10

Custom1 or Custom 2 -$5

Book value will be 65$.

U can have it set whether it always allow -ve entries or positive. Better to try it on test db and see how u can use.

Exact purpose of this even i don't know. :| May be somebody can explain if he/ she knows exact use of this on this forum :) . I see it as an adjustment.
    Kapil Khanna