Change Global Dimension on existing database

mykeeneyemykeeneye Member Posts: 3
I want to run the function "Change Global Dimension" on an existing database. The database is huge, and when I try to run the function, it gives me an estimated completion date that is about 3 months from now. I think that making everyone stay out of Navision for 3 months is unacceptable.

Does anyone have any ideas about speeding up this process?

Thank you!

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Take a look at Report 83, if you have developer access.

I've found that UPDATEs tend to make things take a lot longer. Anytime something on the screen has to refresh it will take longer (like doing a processing report, but not marking it as processing only, displaying those empty pages takes forever). I don't think there will be a way that you can get the time down to even a long weekend, though.

Best bet I think would be to create a new company. Maybe import everything from this year and change the dimensions. Then if necessary you can run it on the old data and import into the new company when it's done. Not the greatest solution, but it's something.
  • mykeeneyemykeeneye Member Posts: 3
    We have some people here who are very talented with SQL. Are there any SQL tools that may be able to help?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I suggest to get a Nav developer to sit with your sql person and list all the tables that need to be changed, then write the tsql statement to make the change.

The sql statement shouldn't' take more than a couple of hours to run.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n