SQL server + reporting on MSACCESS

michalkmichalk Member Posts: 43
Hi - I'm going to implement SQL server as database for NAV 4 or 5 (dont know which we'll choose).
On SQL can I connect using standard ODBC driver for SQL and use MS ACCESS as reporting environment? Do I need additional SQL granule to use SQL ODBC? Anyone using some external environments for reporting purposes?

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    With NAV 2009, each user (using MSAccess) will require a DCO license. Not sure if this applies to older versions. Also each user will require a valid SQL CAL for accessing the NAV SQL database.

Also be aware of the decimal precision issue with MSAccess

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26949&hilit=decimal+precision
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    you can use sql reporting services instead.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • michalkmichalk Member Posts: 43
    ara3n wrote:
    you can use sql reporting services instead.

I'm thinking about msaccess because I've worked with this for few past years - when I went into NAV reporting I felt like it was 20 years back :)

What do You think about linking access-nav idea for reporting purposes on SQL server (not codbc - it sucks)

Rgds
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I hope you have a very big check book, because this is going to be a very expensive Navision implementation.
    David Singleton
    I hope you have a very big check book, because this is going to be a very expensive Navision implementation.

because of what? licences? worktime? something else? :)

I'm fresh on navision :)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    michalk wrote:

because of what? licences? worktime? something else? :)

I'm fresh on navision :)

Because Rashed gave you very good advise for FREE and you simply ignored it. If you don't want to learn Navision, then why use it? You will be better off with a product you feel comfortable with.

You will end out ignoring the good advise that you get for free, and follow bad advise that you pay for, simply because its what you want to hear. If you ask questions and you already know what answer you want to hear, then you will keep asking till some one tells you that answer, and in my experience the "Yes Man" that you are looking for will want to get paid to say "Yes Sir".This forum can help you to successfully implement Navision, but only if you are willing to take the advise you are given.

Sorry if I sound condescending, but after coming to the rescue to almost 200 Navision implementations I do see the pattern that causes those disasters.
    David Singleton
    Sorry if I sound condescending, but after coming to the rescue to almost 200 Navision implementations I do see the pattern that causes those disasters.

Relax. Have to deal with this crappy nav reporting and as experienced msaccess user I try to figure pros and cons of such a solution. There is odbc solution so why not use it?

I've started to try these roporting services so I havent ignored it - You've finished 200 NAV implementations ant it makes You guru - I know, that there is no discussions with gurus :)

And maybe there is better place to get free advises than MIBUSO forum? :/

Rgds\M