Importing objects to a productive database

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi
This is a rather philosophical question but anyway:

Let's say, we are importing a table and a codeunit in a database. Users using the table next time get an error and start the process again. But the old codeunit might still reside in the clients object cache untile the client is restarted.
Is that correct? Theoretically strange things could happen :?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Answers

• FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
    Yeah.... that's why we schedule our production migrations for known downtime. Breaks, lunch, after hours... If it's an emergency fix, we send out a corporate-wide email and request that everyone exit the system at a particular time.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yes when that object is in a client sessions's object cache that does happen, and quite often too. This is the reason why you don't just continually import modified objects into the production database.

If you're still in a phase where this is needed, and scheduling object updates is not practical, you will need to set the object cache to 0 on all clients. Be aware that people find out about this property and set it themselves when they browse this forum for instance :).
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    But of course setting the cache to 0 will lead to performance loss...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I see the point, but interestingly enough, it works most of the time even if nobody starts the client new.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yes very annoying isn't it. I've seen it where it was refreshing over and over with the new object, and I went "ok I guess I don't have to restart NAV", then I was getting mixed results and found out it was not refreshing. I think in my case it had something to do with having the debugger on.

The safest way to go is make sure to restart the clients.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    yep, you are right, best way always restart client.