Update Host & Service file for Server

lovelyklovelyk Member Posts: 83
Dear All,

This is a very common thing we all face to add the domain name of Server in host file of a system & network port in Service file of same.

I don't want to do this, Is there is some other way to update the same by some setup or so or either by navision installation only.

Kindly suggest.

Regards

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I don't understand your question, could you explain exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish? Tell us about your NAV version, if you are on NAV database server or SQL Server, why it is that you think you would need to update hosts/services, and also why you don't want to do that if it is somethin that you would need to do.
  • lovelyklovelyk Member Posts: 83
    Dear Den,

I am using Nav 4.0 sp3 and 5.0 version. when I made some server either Nav Databse server or SQL Nav Server on a particular machine. To access this server we have to specify the Server name with IP address in Host & port no. in service file of local machine, this is the thing I dont wanna do!

Regards
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And why you are doing that? There are only exceptions when you need to do that: not working DNS or other name-resolving services, installing more than one NAV DB server on one HW, changing default port no. for NAV DB service.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    For the SQL Server option, you don't need to add anything to services/hosts, so you're in luck there. For NAV database server, that's just how it works. You add the server and port to those files to complete the installation. What is the reason why you don't want to do that?

Instead of the server name, you can open the client using the IP address. You could change the shortcuts for the clients to use that instead, although you don't really want IP addresses floating around, that confuses users. I don't know whether you can specify IP and port number in the client shortcut, in case you have more than one NAV database server. There was a how-to article about installing multiple NAV database servers on one machine, very well written by Kriki. See if you can find that article.