Posting error and Cash receipt Journal

mehmeh Member Posts: 50
I am facing two problems.

I am posting entries from Jan and some document number of jan is entered recently so they are not serial form for example Doc 002 needs to be posted before Doc 001 .Is it possible to do in navision or not Or else I am getting an error message saying it cannot be posted as Doc no should be Doc001 in line 20000.

Secondly, I am posting entries in Cash receipt Journal .Here we have some payments from our vendors and I have deposited them in bank So when i have credited vendor and given negative sign in the credited vendor. It gives an error msg saying amount should be positive.And I have set up Both in the COA posting Tab . How to clear this restriction please suggest.

Thanking you .

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Tips & Tricks' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    i'm not an accountant, but let's reason through this.

when i look at vendor ledger entries, i see that vendor invoices are posted as negative values (liabilities). when you are in payment journal, you would have to enter the payment as a positive value to net the invoice to zero: -600 invoice would be cleared by a +600 payment. this is reversed for customers: a customer invoice shows as a positive value and you "pay" them with a negative value: +600 invoices is cleared by -600 payment.

you say you are in cash receipts journal, which does not make sense to me. why would payments made to a vendor be recorded in the Cash Receipts Journal and not in the payment journal? that could be part of your problem. i have never tried to record payment to a vendor through the cash receipts journal.

another thing to consider is that if you try to pay an invoice that is no longer open through a journal, the system will throw similar errors telling you that you are trying to apply a payment to something that is no longer open.

edit:
    for your first question, it sounds like you have a no. series in place for your journal lines, and it doesn't like that you are trying your own numbers. you could look at a couple of options. instead of defining the no series for the journal batch, define the posting no. series. then whichever line you post next in that journal batch will get the next number. you could also turn off the no series altogether an allow for manual document nos. in your journal. also, if you are using a no. series, check to make sure you haven't already used the number you are trying to use.
    kind of fell into this...
  • mehmeh Member Posts: 50
    edited 2009-04-30
    I was able to solve the problem of vendor. Actually it is refund and deposits made by vendor themselves So i made document type as Refund and the transactions were posted .

But Still I am having the problem of No. Series. I tried what you said but didnt worked.
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    You must not be using "Posting No. series" in the journal batch. If you use the same, the problem can resolved.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
    well Deep I am still not clear you mean if i keep document no and the posting no series same then Will it work Please let me know.
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Actually the system posts the document numbers in a sequence only from the No.Series field in the general batch.
    You cannot use the same number series in both No. Series and Posting No. Series field.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
    Thanks .I am not Using the same number series and neither i have assigned numbers in posting number series. Is there any alternatives may be coding them so that they can post the numbers without sequence
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    i did some Accounts receivable work in NAV and spent a lot of time in the cash receipts journal.

we did not define no. series or Posting no. series, primarily because our implementer said nothing about them and we went on our merry way with manually derived document nos. The system would auto increment any number put in the document no. field and also let you use the same document no. for every entry if you wanted to. we basically started day 1 by entered our initials and the number 1 in the first line of the journal. i think at the time i left that job i had made it up to >25000 and all the time the system kept good track of what doc no. i should use next (all without a no. series). the caveat here was that you never deleted the blank line left over after posting (you always started with that line on your next batch process).

when you define a no. series it means that every new journal line you create in that journal batch will be assigned a document no. if you leave the posting no. series blank, it will post using the doc. nos. on the journal line. if you define a posting no. series, it will post the journal entries with the nos. from the posting no. series, but you will not see them while doing the entry.

try playing around with it in test database - set up a couple of different batches within a journal template. set up 1 with no no. series and others with the different combinations of no. series setups. hopefully this will get you where you want to be.

note that sometimes (like in the payment journal), if you do not have manual check defined and you attempt to manually assign a doc no. and assign the payment to the invoice, you will get an error about the doc no. (in version 4 anyhow) - but that is because when you print checks, it will define the doc nos for you.

hope this helps.
    kind of fell into this...