Warehousing conundrum

CobaltSSCobaltSS Member Posts: 137
Hi all,

I need the capability in NAV to manage and report on the contents of a warehouse (Items, bin, location, FIFO rotation of stock, etc.), but the items within the warehouse can’t interact with our inventory. The business case: we are warehousing the contents of the new warehouse, but it’s not part of our Inventory, it’s still owned by the company we purchase from; the new warehouse is just acting as a staging area. When we get an order for the Product, we want to Transfer the Inventory into our current location, and then Ship it out, as per usual.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    CobaltSS wrote:
    Hi all,

I need the capability in NAV to manage and report on the contents of a warehouse (Items, bin, location, FIFO rotation of stock, etc.), but the items within the warehouse can’t interact with our inventory. The business case: we are warehousing the contents of the new warehouse, but it’s not part of our Inventory, it’s still owned by the company we purchase from; the new warehouse is just acting as a staging area. When we get an order for the Product, we want to Transfer the Inventory into our current location, and then Ship it out, as per usual.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Running TPL warehousing is not so complex in NAV. Create a new Location, and then mark the Items as zero cost. The only issue is when you need to use the same items in your financial inventory. In that case just make a simple mod to to set Zero Inventory cost at the location level instead of the item level. Its a pretty simple mod and works well.
    David Singleton
  • CobaltSSCobaltSS Member Posts: 137
    HI David,

Thanks for the feedback. "TPL" = Third Party Logistics? (thanks Google!).

How do I prevent the "Quantity Available" from including this new location? It can't be used at all, or included in any inventory activities that our normal inventory is included in.

Also, I'm very unfamiliar with the standard warehousing module. How does it manage bins and rows, with the FIFO? And speaking of FIFO, can I designate the items in this warehouse as FIFO, and the rest of our locations a Standard?

thanks again!
    CobaltSS wrote:
    HI David,

Thanks for the feedback. "TPL" = Third Party Logistics? (thanks Google!).

How do I prevent the "Quantity Available" from including this new location? It can't be used at all, or included in any inventory activities that our normal inventory is included in.

Also, I'm very unfamiliar with the standard warehousing module. How does it manage bins and rows, with the FIFO? And speaking of FIFO, can I designate the items in this warehouse as FIFO, and the rest of our locations a Standard?

thanks again!
    Without a full analysis of your system, I cant really answer in detail, but just give you ideas. Each client is different and thus the solution is different. In one client, we added a field something like TPL Inventory to Item Ledger Entry. Then just create a new flow field to look at inventory on hand. There are also many other ways to do it.

As to costing, I think you will find that since the inventory has zero cost, that it really doesn't matter what costing method you use for the TPL warehouse (0 x anything = 0), so you just set what you need in the Financial Warehouse.

I do suggest that you really get a good idea of how NAV inventory and warehouse granules work before you get started on this. It is a very simple mod, but can be disastrous if done wrongly.

Off topic, the first TPL NAV system I did like this, was the first ever Navision implementation in the US, and one of most memorable implementations.
    David Singleton
  • medostmedost Member Posts: 10
    I would not suggest to create a new location and and set the item to invenory value zero. I affects the whole inventory for the item. It is not possible to limit the inventory value zero to one stockkeeping unit. I have very bad experience with it. Only way is that you create new items for it.

My first thought was creating a new company and sync the item and addtional records oneway between the companies.
  • atankersleyatankersley Member Posts: 32
    I am working a vendor own inventory problem also. Can you post the modification needed to do the zero cost by location.
    tank
  • CobaltSSCobaltSS Member Posts: 137
    Hi again,

Two companies sounds like an interesting approach. I'll play with that, if I get enough time.

When I was talking FIFO, I was actually not referring to the Costing, but to the actual physical management of the items. Will it tell the warehouse picker where the oldest inventory is?

cheers,
    medost wrote:
    I would not suggest to create a new location and and set the item to invenory value zero. I affects the whole inventory for the item. It is not possible to limit the inventory value zero to one stockkeeping unit. I have very bad experience with it. Only way is that you create new items for it.

My first thought was creating a new company and sync the item and addtional records oneway between the companies.

Of course anything that you design and implement badly will have problems. But as I said the mod is simple and if designed and implemented correctly it WILL work fine.
    David Singleton