Alternative to CutePDF for printing inventory (speed issue)

gadzilla1gadzilla1 Member Posts: 316
Hello all,

I have a unique situation. I created a report based on the report 10139 Inventory Valuation. I've hard coded the As Of Date to TODAY where As Of Date occurs in the code. I've created an excel output to save directly to an end users folder. Everything works great except for one thing:

I tried to set the report to have no request form (since I need no filters) and the report still gets sent to the printer (which I set up w/CutePDF). The need to print I believe comes from CurrReport.SHOWOUTPUT on the sections...I can't remove that since there's other code tied to those areas. I cannot set to processing only, I tried...I'd like to run this on Job Scheduler.

The biggest problem is that the report takes way too long to run when sent to CutePDF prior to saving to excel, I had to cancel the job in Job Scheduler last evening. When I run the report using 'Preview', there is no need to print and the report completes in 30 minutes...BUT I cannot run a report in preview in Job Scheduler, can I?

Has anyone ran into a similar situation? If so any ideas are appreciated, either using an alternative printer or a workaround in Job Scheduler. Thanks, Chris

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Just a tad off topic - if the report is always for TODAY then why not just create a new report that takes Qty * Cost for each item. It would be done in 30 seconds.

I find the valuation only useful if I want to go back to a specific date. That maybe just us tho.
  • gadzilla1gadzilla1 Member Posts: 316
    Hi Harry,

If I understand the Inventory Valuation correctly, we cannot use the Qty * Cost option. We need to know what a cost was historically as well. But please let me know if I'm not understanding the report correctly.

Any ideas on tricking the printer? ;) Thanks, Chris
    My point was instead of modifing a copy of the Valuation Report which as you know takes a while to run, you could create a NEW simple inv report multiplying Qty * "your choice" of costs (Std, Last, Unit) using the item table and it would take seconds to run since it doesn't have to calc every item ledger entry.

I assumed this because you're orig post says "I've hard coded the As Of Date to TODAY"
    So this is a processing only report? You want no output?
    How is it "set" to use cutepdf?

Did you set the UseReqForm property to NO?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Why don't you just set up a text printer that prints to a file?
    David Singleton
    Harry,

Thanks again for the replies. On your first point, maybe I am misunderstanding the Valuation functionality and As Of Date...I did try a simple report similar to what you described and the numbers did not match up at that time. I'll try again.

On your 2nd point, I coold not set as a processing report because of the CurrReport.SHOWOUTPUT on the sections I believe, I got an error. I tried setting UseReqForm property to NO and this was allowed, but it sent the job to the printer, and this took too long w/CutePDF.

David,

Thanks as well. As a short term solution I'll try the print to text. I will try to redevelop my report in the near future, I just need to get this on Job Scheduler so I can get some sleep! ;)

Have a great day - I'll reply back w/results. Chris
    Just tried a text printer and that moved very slowly as well...

It would be nice to just be able to have this as a processing only report. I'll see if that's possible
    One more thing...I wonder if I can set this as Processing Only. I looked at all of the Section C/AL and maybe I can comment out the CurrReport.SHOWOUTPUT to stop the report from getting an error when set to processing only.

The only code I've added to the sections is on Item Ledger Entry, Footer (6):

IF (PrintToExcel = TRUE) THEN BEGIN
    MakeExcelDataBody;
    CurrReport.SHOWOUTPUT(NOT PrintToExcel);
    END;

(and PrintToExcel is always true)
    do you have form 64 Printer Selections? There you can set a report to a specific printer

no need to showoutput if you only want to use it as processing only. just guessing but the show output's on the inv valuation - is to show details or varients n such that you can select on the request tab. You can clean up alot of that stuff if your not using it, by removing unused sections.
    Thanks Harry,

You're correct. I was able to use CurrReport.SHOWOUTPUT := FALSE; on the sections and set to processing only and it worked. I figured out that the code on the sections was for display only.