Investigating accounting errors

imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
I'm having a problem with a company at a client of ours. They have a difference between credit and debit in their trial balance report and I'm investigating why.

My first reaction was to check that there were no unbalanced documents in the gl entries table. I found 4 documents which had differences - something which should be impossible. Since this is all transaction based then a PC hanging or network problem should not cause this type of problem, no?

Filtering the GL entries table for one of these documents I find a single line with a transfer from an account but no balancing amount to another account. How could this have been registered? there are a few others which have similar problems. This is a pretty vanilla instalation and theres nothing which writes directly to the db. This type of document should be impossible, no?

On top of this, the sum of the 4 unbalanced documents is not equal to the difference found on the trial balance report - any suggestions as to what I could check to find the difference?

Ian

Comments

• imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
    Just realized that I was stupidly filtering for Difference > 0 and I was excluding a few docs where the diff was negative.
    Now the sum of the differences does add up to the difference in the trial balance.

so, I'm just left with the mystery of how this could have gotten this way.

Ian