Closing Income Statement Very Slow In V4 SP3

WLWL Member Posts: 12
Dear All,

Can someone advice what can be done to speed up the Close Income Statement Job?
FYI. I am on V4.0SP3 and has about 24500000 records in the G/L Entry and has 8 dimensions which are needed for the analysis view.
My customer is not satisfied that this is taking days to complete.

Can someone out there help?

Comments

• SD-JRSD-JR Member Posts: 94
    Hi,

It's a large g/l with heavy dim analysis so it will take some time.

What you can do is break the processing into smaller steps. On report 94 add a g/l account number filter so they can run the report to journalise the closing transactions by ranges of accounts. You can set multiple journal batches to deal with each segment e.g. sales, cos, admin oheads e.t.c.

You problem is the cache is filling up and it's having to swap data rather than use the ram so what takes 2 days to run as one full step could be reduced to a few hours by running in 10 steps.
    Regards,

Ger
    Simply Dynamics Ltd
    Web: www.simplydynamics.ie
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    WL wrote:
    has about 24500000 records in the G/L Entry and has 8 dimensions which are needed for the analysis view.

How do implementations like this happen? ](*,)
    David Singleton
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    WL wrote:
    Dear All,

Can someone advice what can be done to speed up the Close Income Statement Job?
    FYI. I am on V4.0SP3 and has about 24500000 records in the G/L Entry and has 8 dimensions which are needed for the analysis view.
    My customer is not satisfied that this is taking days to complete.

Can someone out there help?

may be this is a stupid question since i don't know your chart of account. why do you need "closing by dimension" when closing income statement? closing income statement is posted in closing date of accounting period. if you analyse your income statement until closing date, no problem. am i wrong?
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    ayhan06 wrote:
    am i wrong?

Not wrong but it is always advised to. If i want my closing figures to be compared to my figures in next fiscal year per dimension then i may miss that. I never do this without keeping dimensions in consideration.
    Kapil Khanna
  • WLWL Member Posts: 12
    Hi SD-JR,

Thanks for the solution. May I ask if this solution has been implementated successfully for any of your customers before?

To confirm, I just have to pull out the G/l Account No. for filtering? No coding need to be made in Report 94?

Awaiting for your reply. :)
  • SD-JRSD-JR Member Posts: 94
    Hi,

Yes we have used it on a few sites in the past and works fine - but users need to manage/ensure they cover all their income statement g/l accounts in each run (at post g/l journal on each step).

All you need to do with report 94 is add the g/l "No." field to the g/l account data item request filter fields on the report so the user can enter a filter range.

If you have any doubts/concerns run on an off line copy of the live DB and test for the optimum range of g/l accounts to speed performance.

** Note You could also modify the report to commit after each g/l account i.e. when they run the report with no filter it will step trough all accounts but not build a big temp cache more automated and less prone to user error - but test above step first for speed results.
    Regards,

Ger
    Simply Dynamics Ltd
    Web: www.simplydynamics.ie