Changing the location of a Service Item

tompynationtompynation Member Posts: 398
Hi,

On the Service Item card, there is the ability to change the Service Item his Ship-to Code...
Now when you try to change the ship to code while the Service Item is still on a Service Contract you will receive the error that you cannot change the Ship-to Code...

Why exactly do they check this? A client would like to be able to change this Ship-to Code.

If i would disable this check? Should i just update the Service Contract Lines then for this Service Item
so that these Service Contract Lines contains the New Ship-to Code ??

Or should I update lot's of more tables then?

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Usually when anything changes on a contract, you need to cancel it and create a new one.

If you want to bypass this logic, when you modify the ship-to, you need to update the service contract line "Ship-to Code", as well as the "Service Contract header" ship to code. Now if you have multiple lines on a contract, you'll need to update all the lines ship-to as well as all the service items.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • tompynationtompynation Member Posts: 398
    well, i dont want to cancel the contract and create a new one... All the Service contract will be contracts for a period of 2 years...

The only thing that can change is that the location of one of the service items on the contract changes. So when that happens, i will just update the Contract Line for that Service Item then...

Off course i will have lines then with a Different Ship-to Code then the Ship-to Code on the Header.
    But i guess that wont be a problem
    Make sure you change any other service item that is on service contract line.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Why would i change all other Service Items on the Service Contract?

WHen i have for example Service Item A & B, both have same ship to code...

I create a service contract for the customer, containing 2 Service Contract Lines, for Ser Item A & B.

I sign this contract...

Now after a while Service Item A has changed from location, so it has now Ship-to Code 1, I've updated this on the Service Item. In the Validate of the Ship-to Code, i change the Ship-to Code of the Service Contract Line for Service Item A.
    Make sure you change any other service item that is on service contract line.

Should i now also change the Ship-to Code of the Service Contract Line for Item B ??
    The only reason is that the ship-to code on header need to match the lines. You can test it and if you don't find any issues, you should be ok.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Well, the only problem i get now is that i cannot post a service order...

I allways receive the error: "There are no service invoice lines to post"

But this has nothing to do with the Ship-to Code, i tested on Contracts where i dont change the Ship-to Code.
    It seems like i do something wrong in the process.

I just create the service contract, add the service item to the contract and then sign it. And i let it create the Invoice that i
    the system proposes to create.

After this i just open a new Service order, fill in the Contract No. on the header and all other necessary fields and then select the Service Item by zooming on the Service Item No.

Now i try to post this service order, but then i receive allways the error "There are no service invoice lines to post"