SQL server not showing in NAV

JaydkJaydk Member Posts: 28
Hey..

Is there anything special one would need to apply to a sql server installation to make the server show up in the list when pressing F6 in the open database "menu" of NAV?

I Can open a database by entering the servername, but it aint showing up in the list. I can access it both local and remotely, but it aint showing in the list.

Comments

• bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    In my experience, if you can get the db to open by typing in the server name, then I would quit while I'm ahead. (But, it would drive me crazy, and I would want to solve it too.)

Watching thread with interest ...
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah, it happens all the time here. Sometimes the server just won't show up in the list. Other times it will. But if you type it in it accepts it and you can do the lookup for the database.

I don't think there is a fix as it is just an intermittent problem. But if there is I would also be curious.
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    In previous NAV versions the server lookup used a network API to enumerate servers in the domain, which was an old API that did not typically enumerate much and was slow.

NAV no longer does this (from around version 5.0 but this could also have been back ported to 4.0 as well) and instead the lookup simply looks into the registry to find SQL Server instances installed on the local machine when the client is running.

Entering the server name manually and connecting to that server, has nothing to do with the list of servers in the Available Servers window.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Help on the Server lookup window:
    Available Microsoft SQL Servers

The Available Microsoft SQL Servers window displays a list of the SQL Servers that are currently available in the domain. The Server Name field contains the names of the SQL Servers that are currently available. The program fills in this field automatically.

To connect with a server that is on the list, select it and then click OK. Alternatively, you can double-click the server name.

I guess it's a little out-of-date then, eh?

Bob
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    Yes, I'll file a doc bug for it. Thanks.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • josephdeweyjosephdewey Member Posts: 87
    Has anyone heard of a solution for this issue?
    Joseph Dewey
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV User