SQL Migration Upgrade Toolkit - Performance

baldaumbaldaum Member Posts: 13
Hi,

my Name is Markus and I am completly new to this forum. I hope you can help me. We have started the MigrationUpgradeToolkit and everything is working fine. The only problem is that the MigrationUpgradeToolkit takes 8 HOURS to complete. I am running it on a server 2003 64bit with 8 Gig RAM and a QuadCore. Our NAV consultant said it is because of the discs. But we use RAID1 and RAID 10 with 15K HP discs.

Do you know if there is a possibility to convert a 40 GB Database faster than 8 hours?

Many thanks
Markus :D

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    How many discs, how the files are stored on these discs?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • baldaumbaldaum Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

the native Database is stored on 2 Disc Arrays with Raid 1. Each Raid stores a Native DB file with about 25GB. I have started the migrate.fob again and I have checked the Performance Log of the Server. It does not take any processer or memory. It takes about 75% of disc reads on both Raids.

Because of the reason that we are already usind Raid1 with 15K discs, is there a possibility to make it faster?

regards
    Markus
    More disc pairs with smaller files..
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kamel,

thanks for your info!

How can I change the number of files in an existing 5.01 Native database? I only know how to add more files, but does NAV then automatically store/transfer data into the new file?

Have you ever migrated a DB with 40GB? Do you have any experience with this?

regards
    Markus
    Regarding the way: backup - create new files - restore. There is no other way how to "balance" data into new data files...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi,

but this takes also about 3 hours, which then means that it will not be faster at the end.

I have made a second test and I put 32GB RAM into the machine. No difference: The migrate.fob takes about 8 hours.
    The problem is that it is a 32bit application and it does not take more than 1 CPU. Although the discs have more performance (currently they run with about 75% when migrating), the migration is not faster.

Thanks for your help.

Markus