Migrating 50 GB Navision Database to SQL

fortius_cvafortius_cva Member Posts: 70
Hi All,
Could any one suggest me the system configuration for SQL database(Navision 50 GB).

My client is using 3.7 version at present and they want to upgrade from nav 3.7 to nav 2009 and also database(Navision 50 GB database to SQL).

When i have installed 2009 in my local server which is having RAM(3+) and when i am using the nav role taliored client,its a bit slow. its getting slower and slower drastically when no. of sessions getting increased.

So i want to know the configuration which suits best for 50GB Database when i am accessing with nav 2009.

Waiting for your valuable suggestions.....
Thank You
Friend Ship is just like breeze.. you can't smell it, touch it,hold it.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    There is a hardware req pdf document that has the specs for service tier.

What are your spec for the service tier box?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • canadian_baconcanadian_bacon Member Posts: 91
    Also, what will be more important than the size of the database is how many users you will have at any one time.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    read also the manuels for the Migration from Native to SQL. Search the forum for this also for migrate.fob / migrate native sql.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • hardik_shahhardik_shah Member Posts: 219
    Navision 4.0 supporting more than 256GB database....so its not an issue but the thing is that
    how many concurrent users will work....i think you should go with minumum 4gb RAM
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Indeed, the database size does not really matter (in first place), it is more important how many concurrent users (CCU) are working with the system and the transaction volume they process.
    With NAV 2009 you should have two separate dedicated Servers: 1 x Database Server (SQL Server) and 1 x Service Tier (at least, depending on the number of users).

Some specs - just a suggestion - for the SQL Server (assuming SQL 2008 x64):

Architecture: 64bit
    CPU: at least one QuadCore, depending on CCU; at least one physical CPU per 100 CCU (e.g. means: 1 Quad per 100 CCU)
    RAM: at least 8GB, better 16GB and more. The more the better!
    The Disksubsystem is very important and needs to be thoroughly discussed! You may need separate physical volumes (fast spindles & controllers) for different parts/databases of that system - search the forum about this, you should find plenty of advices.

Also have in mind that the configuration needs to be optimized, additionally sufficient maintenance and monitoring should be established.

Regarding the Service Tier you should follow the recommendations from MS, here always calculating "conservatively" is feasible.
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool